[iPad] Keyboard shortcut to Move between Item & Note not working

Steps to reproduce

iPad Pro running iOS with Apple Keyboard. Press the default combination (SHIFT+ENTER) to activate “move between item and note”. The cursor shifts to a new line without moving to a note.

Expected result

Expect the shortcut to move to an item’s note (or return to the item if in a note already)

Actual result

The command moves to a new item.

Environment

Which operating system are you using? IOS 13
Which browser are you using? NA (native app)
If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist? 1.3.8
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?

Additional information

I’m pretty sure that this keyboard shortcut used to work!
Shortcut works absolutely fine on desktop, no issues.
I’ve also tried creating custom mappings for this action such as CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER, but these also do not work, which makes me suspect the action itself is broken in this latest version (rather than the shortcut).
I realise I might be in the minority of iPad keyboard power users, but this particular back-and-forth between items and notes is something I do very regularly and it’s frustrating needing to touch the screen!

2 Likes

Is this related to the new auto-capitalizing behavior of iOS 13? @Shida

Apologies for the late reply. It is indeed due to iOS 13’s auto capitalization.

When auto-capitalization is enabled and about to capitalize your next character, pressing “Enter” will cause iOS to send a “Shift+Enter” combination instead of just “Enter”.

Unfortunately there is no reliable way for us to detect whether the “Shift” key is held down by the auto-capitalization or your external keyboard. We had to resort to ignoring that key to ensure the app continues to work on iOS 13.

If you know of a good way to handle this issue, please let us know. It’s been frustrating for us as well!

Hi sorry I know this is an old topic, this problem is still here in IOS14.
Is there a better solution than this? Move between Item and Note is really important!

An important point is, when you use a hardwarel keyboard with iPad, in Settings/General/Keyboard/, there’s a Hardware keybaord option, and we can close Auto-Capitalization there!! I already close it. I don’t know if it’s related but I think so. Hopefully let us manually close it and bring this Item&Note function back on iPad, maybe with another option in settings to toggle it.

Just a quick update - since we can’t fix this iOS bug, the only workaround is to change the hotkey. You can do so from the Keymap option if you have Dynalist Pro:

Hey @Shida,

Commenting on your solution - unfortunately, this doesn’t appear to be possible. I tested remapping the “Move between item and note” command to various other keys, all to no avail.

Currently, I have the following keys all mapped to this command, none of which work on iPad. Interestingly, all that they achieve is to work as an “ENTER” key, creating a new bullet beneath the current bullet instead of creating/moving to a note.

Ah I see why - seems like the app take this specific action to mean create new note on iOS specifically to address the iOS bug. I can fix this to detect whether the key event is still shift-enter.

A fix will come in the next release.

1 Like

:heart: