[iPad] Keyboard shortcut to Move between Item & Note not working

Steps to reproduce

iPad Pro running iOS with Apple Keyboard. Press the default combination (SHIFT+ENTER) to activate ā€œmove between item and noteā€. The cursor shifts to a new line without moving to a note.

Expected result

Expect the shortcut to move to an itemā€™s note (or return to the item if in a note already)

Actual result

The command moves to a new item.

Environment

Which operating system are you using? IOS 13
Which browser are you using? NA (native app)
If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist? 1.3.8
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?

Additional information

Iā€™m pretty sure that this keyboard shortcut used to work!
Shortcut works absolutely fine on desktop, no issues.
Iā€™ve also tried creating custom mappings for this action such as CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER, but these also do not work, which makes me suspect the action itself is broken in this latest version (rather than the shortcut).
I realise I might be in the minority of iPad keyboard power users, but this particular back-and-forth between items and notes is something I do very regularly and itā€™s frustrating needing to touch the screen!

2 Likes

Is this related to the new auto-capitalizing behavior of iOS 13? @Shida

Apologies for the late reply. It is indeed due to iOS 13ā€™s auto capitalization.

When auto-capitalization is enabled and about to capitalize your next character, pressing ā€œEnterā€ will cause iOS to send a ā€œShift+Enterā€ combination instead of just ā€œEnterā€.

Unfortunately there is no reliable way for us to detect whether the ā€œShiftā€ key is held down by the auto-capitalization or your external keyboard. We had to resort to ignoring that key to ensure the app continues to work on iOS 13.

If you know of a good way to handle this issue, please let us know. Itā€™s been frustrating for us as well!

Hi sorry I know this is an old topic, this problem is still here in IOS14.
Is there a better solution than this? Move between Item and Note is really important!

An important point is, when you use a hardwarel keyboard with iPad, in Settings/General/Keyboard/, thereā€™s a Hardware keybaord option, and we can close Auto-Capitalization there!! I already close it. I donā€™t know if itā€™s related but I think so. Hopefully let us manually close it and bring this Item&Note function back on iPad, maybe with another option in settings to toggle it.

Just a quick update - since we canā€™t fix this iOS bug, the only workaround is to change the hotkey. You can do so from the Keymap option if you have Dynalist Pro:

Hey @Shida,

Commenting on your solution - unfortunately, this doesnā€™t appear to be possible. I tested remapping the ā€œMove between item and noteā€ command to various other keys, all to no avail.

Currently, I have the following keys all mapped to this command, none of which work on iPad. Interestingly, all that they achieve is to work as an ā€œENTERā€ key, creating a new bullet beneath the current bullet instead of creating/moving to a note.

Ah I see why - seems like the app take this specific action to mean create new note on iOS specifically to address the iOS bug. I can fix this to detect whether the key event is still shift-enter.

A fix will come in the next release.

1 Like

:heart: