Inline media display, playout & full-quality storage (as well as general file organization & storage)

Greetings y’all! I’m new here. In the late 80s and early 90s I used to be a power user of ThinkTank, one of the earliest commercial outliners on PCs. You can read about it and even download the last working version at:

http://outliners.scripting.com/thinkTank2Pc.html

I however would like to ask for a feature that was unthinkable back then, but which today makes a tons of sense:

INLINE DISPLAY and full-quality STORAGE OF MEDIA AND OTHER FILES – I’ve seen that one can include (an HTML) link to a photo or image in Dynalist. That’s fine, but to my knowledge Dynalist only displays a thumbnail of the image, and if the image at the remote location is moved, deleted or renamed… the link will become a dead link and Dynalist will no longer show it(s thumbnail). Wouldn’t it be great to be able to paste full-resolution images/photos into the note text field at a Dynalist node (with perhaps the option to display a thumbnail in the node’s title)? Wouldn’t it be great to be able to do the same with videos and sound files (think .mp3, .wav etc.) and other media file types? Or at least insert links (to YouTube or Vimeo clips) that will play inline (including VCR style play-out controls) inside Dynalist? Maybe supporting .PDF and .docx files could be included too? Maybe any and all files (up to a certain maximum file size?) could be stored inside a node, but only a small number of file types/extension would be displayed and playable inline?

Multimedia/hypermedia outlines would obviously be a premium PRO feature, that comes with a basic cloud storage limit of all those media, with even more expensive plans for people who want multi-terabyte storage capability for their Dynalist outline(s). I would go for the latter, as I would love to use an outliner to put together multimedia-documented timelines of persons (illustrated biographies), families, organizations, countries, historical and other events etc.

What do you think? Wouldn’t inline media display, playout & full-quality storage (as well as general file organization & storage) be a great feature for Dynalist (Pro)?

2 Likes

You can already paste images and files if you have a pro subscription!
Images are shown inline with a preview if you enable that in the settings :wink:

Preview of videos & PDF & DOCX is not a feature though.
In principle, one could write a javascript extension for that if it is not going to be implemented in core dynalist. They are also working on a plugin API in 2019, if I am not mistaken.

I enjoy what you dreamed up! i’ve been turning Dynalist into a multimedia digital scrapbook, thanks to Powerpack 3, although this functionality isn’t supported on mobile. I’d love to see Dynalist broaden its vision to challenge Evernote and the like. Dynalist is already the best-in-class list outliner, and I believe it can be even more!