In showing 1st of note mode, should the note of the current title be an exception?

Basically, when you have a long note and your note visibility setting is ā€œ1st lineā€, youā€™ll see something like this:

Now the question is, once you zoom into this item, should you see the full note or just the first line? (Full detail would be the following screenshot)

• Just the first line
  • The full note

0 voters

1 Like

I hope even if the full note option didnā€™t win the vote, you will consider add it as an option. Thanks.

I have a few gripes about the title not having all the functions of other items. This one just isnā€™t on my radar.

Having the current parent as full note showing regardless of global note setting would be my preference but probably good to have the behaviour as a deep option

Hmm, does that you mean you want to see the full note, just the first line, or youā€™re indifferent?

Indifferent, but if I had to choose, I would say ā€œsame as every other noteā€.

1 Like

I personally like to always see the full note for the top item in the current view. I use long notes a lot (a small essay for each note). I use ā€œ1st lineā€ view by default because my list would be unreadable with all notes expanded. But I find it frustrating that the note Iā€™m editing collapses to a single line every time I click outside it (sometimes accidentally). Having the top item never collapse would solve this as I can just zoom in to any item to edit the note.

Butā€¦ my preferred alternative (scope creep warning) would be:

Change the note settings to be an item attribute rather than a document attribute and make it really easy to toggle any item between ā€œshowā€, ā€œ1st lineā€, or ā€œhideā€ (preferrably a single click or keyboard shortcut to toggle). This would allow showing full notes for specific items in the list while showing 1st line or hiding notes of other items. To be usable this would also require a way to change note settings of multiple selected items together.

But I get if that is a level of complexity it may be preferable to avoid for most users and Iā€™d be super happy just to change the behaviour of ā€œ1st lineā€ to show the full note for the top item (this is the behaviour in Workflowy, by the way). Cheers.

1 Like

I also really like the idea of a keyboard command to expand the note of the currently editing item - Nirvana works like this (alongside the global setting).

I clicked ā€œ1st line onlyā€ and it counted me vote as "show the whole note. These polls are wonky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kUed21j9s

Edit: nevermind, thereā€™s just a 10-20 second delay. It shows you the old results for 10-20 seconds then changes. you can tell by flipping between show and hide results and seeing it flip.

Like in the keyboard shortcut would bring the note to the front and allow you to edit it? Thatā€™s clever!

Ok, thanks for the heads up! Maybe a person just voted before you.

Hmmm, I hesitate to lose my clever badge, but I think I didnā€™t mean this quite. The ā€˜edit noteā€™ shortcut would do what you say wouldnā€™t it? What I mean is the shortcut would expand the note for the current item, without moving the cursor and then even as you move your cursor to other items, that note would remain expanded - so itā€™s a permanent note expansion until you undo it ā€“ the question of whether this would remain when you leave the current view and come back would be tricky ā€¦

Ah, I see. Yeah, keeping state of which notes are expanded is tricky. And knowing when to clear those expanded statesā€¦