Horizontal lines on Boox Max E-reader

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.
It’s always there.

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?
I expect a screen without horizontal grey lines

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?
There are horizontal lines between each item in the outline.


Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
It’s a onyx max boox 2 pro running android 6.1

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

Do you know of any ways we can repro this issue without getting a physical e-reader? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I share my screen? Would that be a feasible option?

Could you do us a favor and open this page on your e-reader?

It’s a test page: https://jsfiddle.net/m8zbtrvh/show

A screenshot of this page would be useful in debugging this issue. Thanks!

1 Like

Here’s the screenshot - hope it helps
thanks for the follow up

Hey Erica,

wonder if you got any clarity trough the screenshot?

Friendly greetings,


Hi Erik, sorry for the late reply.

Looking from the screenshot, it looks like transparent borders aren’t the problem as we suspected (otherwise you should be seeing grey borders around the red square).

Has it always been this way? Or did the bug appear recently? We just changed around some things recently, not sure if it’s related.

Hey Erica,

I only recently bought the boox max. So I can’t give an answer to before I bought it.

So it’s “always” been like that yes :-). It only happens in the app and in the browser of the Boox Max itself and not in firefox or chrome on the device. These other browsers have other problems though to do with screen refresh so not useable either, alas…

And the app installed there is the latest version, v1.3.4?

I just checked, yes it is 1.3.4 :slight_smile:

This is the e-mail of my e-readers support:
maybe they could help clarify the issue?

Hey Erica,

Any updates?

Friendly greetings


Sorry for the late reply!

It looks like the dark lines are caused by the transparent borders, but this is not happening in the test red cube. Does it happen when you go to https://dynalist.io on your mobile browser?

Hey Erica,

Yes it does, on the native browser it happens as well.

That’s really weird then, I’m kinda at my wit’s end.

Basically, I tried the same border styling for the red cube, so if you can see the grey lines in our app, you should see the grey lines around the red cube, but that’s not happening. So it might be something else.

I’m sorry this is taking so long – it’s not a straightforward bug to fix and to be honest it’s quite mysterious! Let me discuss it with our team and see if we can see other possibilities of why this might be happening for you.

I have the same problem in the app on the Boox Note Air (10’3 inch screen)

Vivaldi, Chrome and Firefox all work as expected.

@Erica Just a thought: if the saturation of the red color is the same as the black color there won’t be a noticable border in the screenshot. Since it’s black and white…

Could you try to add this custom CSS rule:

.Node {
  border-color: white;

No difference

Sorry for the late reply, I’m completely out of ideas… I’ve double checked our code and we specifically set those borders to “transparent” which should make them the same colors as the behind.

One more thing we could try: This set the border width to 0, effectively removing the entire border. See if that does anything - if it still does nothing, that must mean that there was something else that’s causing the borders to appear.

.Node {
  border-width: 0 !important;

Thanks, that solved it!

1 Like