Historical completed items should remove "repeating" part of dates

When using the “Next Date Appears in New Item” option for repeating dates, upon completion a complete copy of the item is made, including the repeating part of the date. In fact the repeating part of the date should not be part of the completed item, because if the task is then unchecked, you have a whole new series of tasks that are repeating.

To remove the repeating part of the date on completed items produces a more expected behavior, because that one task becomes simply a part of the history of completion, something that relates to that one date only, while the current “head” (the copy that is not completed) retains the repeatability.

I wonder why someone would uncheck and rechecking these completed task.

I was thinking it’s nice to leave the repeating information there, so that when you look back, you can remember it’s a recurring thing, not a one-time task.

There are at least two reasons why this might happen:

1. A user might accidentally click on task, and need to uncheck it. If so, then a whole new series of tasks is created. In order to resolve it they have to either delete the task that was created and reset the date back, or else remove the repeating part of the newly created task.
  2. There are times when you have a repeating task that is mostly the same with each repetition but has slight changes. In this case, it is very convenient, for example at the start of the month, to click through several instances and then uncheck them and make the modifications that are particular to each instance.

I totally get the point of view that by keeping the repeating information in the checked task you have a historical view that it was part of a series and I agree that is nice. However the fact that when it is unchecked it becomes a whole new series is completely unexpected behavior from a user’s perspective. It would be great to preserve the historical view, but the more important question is not creating an unexpected new series of tasks.