Highlight in Dark Mode

Please change highlight color, or the text color of highlighted text, when using dark mode. White text on yellow background is very hard to read. I personally consider this a bug, since the intent is to make text stand out, but instead it makes it near to invisible.

Good idea.

If you want to use Custom CSS this should turn text black on highlights only when dark modes on only (at the OS level). If your dynalist is not set to auto-detect dark mode you can remove the first line and last line.

@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
.node-highlight {
  color: #000000;
  background-color: rgba(255, 255, 0, 0.4);
}
}
1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a try.

I actually didn’t do enough testing before I posted the suggestion. I realized a moment ago that I can read most highlighted header text without trouble. It’s the smaller note text that’s an issue, especially tags because their text is lighter.

I put lists of relevant tags in the notes of nodes I frequently bring in focus. (When in focus the entire note is displayed.) I wanted to provide definition between groups of these tags by alternately highlighting the groups. When I tried, I first got garbage because the == got absorbed by the last tag in each group. (I posted a feature request to fix this.) After adding spaces to stop that, I realized that the highlighted tags were nearly unreadable.

I am using

.node-highlight { background-color: rgb(22 0 255 / 75%); }

and am happy with the result. The blue background makes the white text appear brighter. Effect on tags is less pronounced, but still highlighted and readable.

I just have to say how literally delighted I am with the blue highlight. I can’t explain why, but I smile everytime a see something highlighted. The neon blue color just makes me happy.

I had fiddled with CSS before but not done anything worth keeping. The blue highlight in dark mode is definitely a keeper. It brightens my night.

2 Likes