Having trouble logging into Dynalist (on Chrome only) using Google OAuth

Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I asked a question.

I can’t login to Dynalist using me Google OAuth credentials. Even in Incognito. Just pressing the button “Sign in with Google” immediately returns “Google sign-in doesn’t seem to be working. Error: idpiframe_initialization_failed”

It works fine on Firefox so I am getting by, but I’d like to resolve this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Looks like this might be a browser extension issue. As embedding a Dynalist URL inside and iframe in Obsidian reports that! That was useful!

One issue is that “Block third-party cookies” in Chrome Settings has to be set to allow cookies (incognito blocking is ok too).

So this isn’t good and I will have to rethink using Chrome at all for DYNA.
On the Obsidian side (embedding DYNA in an iframe) that turned out to be popups related, but again - I haven’t fully got that working either. :pensive:

Now I’m wondering if I can use my account in Chrome if I change to email/password login and dump Google OAuth?

Has anyone done this?

I went to try it, but I don’t have the account with a username/email/password now, and not sure what order to do the removal of Google and the adding or email/pwd. I have a LOT of data inside DYNA and I don’t want to risk losing it.

Any guidance here would be great!

Sorry I’m a bit confused whether this is resolved now.

Also have you considered adding an additional password? That would work in some cases too, especially when you don’t have access to Google authentication.

Sorry, Erica. That was a bit exploratory as I was not seeing anyone else with the issue. Turns out the browser and electron based versions don’t like me signing in with Google OAuth and that may be just my settings in the browser or elsewhere, so no value in that for other users. So I tried a new Dynalist account that used email/pwd and I was able to log in fine in the browser and embed (via iframe) Dynalist urls inside Obsidian. Fantastic!

Now I want my existing account to be changed to email/pwd, but I don’t see how to do that. If I remove the Google part will I lose access to my account? Can I add email/pwd first while Google Sign In is still active? How should I proceed?

Lol, you gotta use edit, and make a topic sentence to frame your context and summarize what’s coming, lead logicially thru the narrative, and conclude with the request or action item or takeaway. Otherwise it’s too much work for us to understand at first glance as we skim thru the forum. Also I was like what is D.Y.N.A. https://www.google.com/search?q=DYNA

I’m just razzing you a bit tho.

As for your question – Click “forgot password” and check your email. After that, you’ll be able to log in both ways. And yes, Obsidian does not support the Google login for me either. Google seems to have very strong anti-iframe code. Javascript can detect if it’s loading in frame or popup or whatever, and do “framebreaking”. It prevents XSS (cross-site scripting) phishing attacks. I think Obsidian is being coded to try it’s best to fight back and allow stuff anyway, but it’s not working with Google logins for me at the moment. So, a lot of my favorite websites don’t load in obsidian, hence I’d lost interest in the app for now. They might not ever work I reckon, there’s only so much you can do to disable security features without rewriting the browser and javascript engine.

1 Like

I consider myself well-razzed, lol. Oftentimes, just writing down your question leads to a thought process that leads you closer to a solution, but no-one wants to read that kind of post! Gadzooks!

Similarly, I use lots of tools and I have my own acronyms that shouldn’t get out of this lemming-parade I call my thoughts. Appropriately chided.

Thanks for the feedback and instructions, @BigChungus