"Go to child" shortcut

Right now, there are customisable shortcuts to
ā€œGo to previous sibling itemā€
ā€œGo to next sibling itemā€
ā€œGo to parent itemā€

Which is great, because it allows me to navigate without moving my hands all the way to the mouse or arrow keys (right now Iā€™ve got it set up as pseudo-vim: cmd-hjkl).

However, I can only navigate up and along the tree, never down to a child, which makes it way less useful. So Iā€™d like a shortcut to go to a child element.

Iā€™d suggest either

• Go to the first child
  • Go to the last child (to give users something that they canā€™t do with down-arrow)
  • Go to the child you just came from, if you used the ā€œGo to parent itemā€-shortcut (or mouse)

Iā€™d be happy for any of them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If that is implemented, I vote for ā€œgo to first childā€ since it matches the existing navigation where you Expand All then press down to get to the first child.

1 Like

Go to (First) Child is needed for full navigation without the arrow keys. Coming from Freemind, itā€™s a sorely missed feature. I use Emacs keybindings myself (Ctrl-P previous, Ctrl-N next, Ctrl-b back to parent, Ctrl-f first child). That last one is currently missing.

Iā€™d prefer Lukasā€™ 3rd option of going to a previously selected child, otherwise the first. This would make going up nodes and back a muscle-memory action (Ctrl-b repeated, edit, Ctrl-f repeated). Very productivity-enhancing.

Meanwhile Iā€™ve been looking for JavaScript or some automators to turn Ctrl-f into Down-Arrow. No luck yet.

Please make this customizable :slight_smile:

What is absent from todayā€™s Keymap :tired_face:

Go to first sibling item (none)
Go to previous sibling item (yes)
Go to next sibling item (yes)
Go to last sibling item (none)

Capture3

I love the idea of ā€˜go to the last childā€™ and ā€˜go to the child you just came fromā€™.

Great idea, please consider it!