Extra Autocomplete Features

• Provide autocompletion results from other Dynalist documents.
  • Provide an autocompletion mode for all words, to avoid typing them over and over again, especially if you’re taking notes on something using a technical term that you’re not used to spelling. (perhaps as a pro features)
  • I don’t want hashtag suggestions from other documents.
  • I don’t mind hashtag suggestions from other documents.

0 voters

The first one is reasonable. Actually I’ve talked with someone about this, and it would be nice if tags can be autocompleted globally.

The second one can be annoying if the person doesn’t want it. I don’t like it when Sublime Text do it to me. It’s quite distracting when you’re just trying to dump stuff from your brain, which I believe is what many people use Dynalist to do. There should be an easy way to turn it off, or even better it’s off by default.

4 Likes

Aha, that’s the word that I was looking for, thanks. [quote=“Erica, post:2, topic:175”]
The second one can be annoying if the person doesn’t want it. I don’t like it when Sublime Text do it to me. It’s quite distracting when you’re just trying to dump stuff from your brain, which I believe is what many people use Dynalist to do. There should be an easy way to turn it off, or even better it’s off by default.
[/quote]

Oh, it would definitely be off be default. I guess another way to go about it that would be complex is to have autocomplete accessible to the user so that way they can put in words that they won’t to type out each time.

1 Like

Brownie points for using Sublime :smiley:

1 Like

I would go so far as to say I actively want hashtags from other documents, not simply “don’t mind”. The reason being, my daily log is a separate document from each Project document however I often want them to share a hashtag for quick global searching/referencing.

1 Like

Right, I think that it’s a pretty good idea, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t speaking on behalf of someone who might potentially annoyed by it, but that doesn’t seem to be the case, fortunately.

1 Like

Yes!

I’m trying to do GTD using Dynalist and I thought I would have a document per context (Home, Work, Phone, etc) but it means I need to duplicate my tag management in each document.

The alternative is I put everything in one document and filter using tags but I find that’s too distracting and easy to lose focus.

3 Likes

This was my exact experience too so I placed all the projects into one Document. I just can’t seem to get around this issue. It’s not a huge deal to me but it does alter how I can use Dynalist.

Maybe it’s useful if your documents have a very different set of tags, like one is for life and one is for work.

From the 50%-50% poll result, looks like an option is the best way to do this.

1 Like

I don’t think that will work for GTD.

For example, I might have a context (i.e.: Document) for Phone Calls and another for Errands; and I have a project (i.e.: hash-tag) for my Car.

Now I could have an item in my Phone Calls to make an appointment for an oil change; and an item in my Errands to buy new windshield wiper blades. Both are for tagged with the Car project.

Even if you flip this around it doesn’t work - have a document for Car and hash-tags for Phone Calls and Errands because every other project could equally require phone calls and errands.

I know there’s another thread that talks about a tag side-bar. Perhaps one way it could work is if a tag (either hash-tag or at-tag) is dragged into the side-bar it becomes a global tag but until then it is document specific?!

[quote=“Schultzter, post:10, topic:175, full:true”]

I don’t think that will work for GTD. [/quote]

I agree 100% with Schultzter that it won’t really work for GTD the way Dynalist currently functions. That’s okay, I’ll just keep my projects in one Document for now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update: now you can auto-complete tags from other documents with the option in Settings - Preferences - Input.

1 Like