Experimental : BulletJournal meets Dynalist

No Philip this is what my irritation the last 1,5 years using DynalistHQ on Mobile on iOS with my iPad and iPhone, itā€™s strange that iĆ”m the only one that have this issue. I talked once again to the Dev, reaction was that this will be fixed in the next two updates on iOS, but after the two updates this month the issue is still thereā€¦

You Always Hurt The One You Love

You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldnā€™t hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall

You always break the kindest heart
With a hasty word you canā€™t recall, so
If I broke your heart last night
Itā€™s because I love you most of all

Songwriters: Allan Roberts / Doris Fisher

:rofl::joy: love the song

1 Like

I donā€™t know exactly what youā€™re seeing, havenā€™t seen a video. Also wasnā€™t clear to Erica until past month. And there may be more than one cause, I donā€™t know. Maybe something was fixed but it turns out not to be your thing.

I do occassionally run into an issue where immediately after a Move, I scroll the screen, and the screen jumps back so I have to scroll again. (Dunno if this is called ā€˜drunkā€™ though.). iā€™m thinking this is an artifact of the Sync process.

Sorry for the delay in replying to youā€¦ We were out of country last month.

We had a new version on Jan 24, is it still not fixed in that version? (v1.3.1)

Going back to check, I can see it in the commit history:

So if we didnā€™t do anything stupidly wrong (which is entirely possibleā€¦), the fix should be available in these two versions:

I tested myself on an iPhone by entering a global search and try to scroll left and right. Looks like the bug is gone.

Could you please confirm @DimitryJacobs?

Nope still the same itā€™s happend in the Document and in Search

I went back to look at the video ā€“ it looks like it only happened with the search result page, not the document page.

Are you saying it has gotten worse (both document and search result page now have issue) or is it the same?

Hi Erica,

I have tested yesterday, itā€™s not at the beginning, it happens when you switch between my bookmarks (some are global search of tags or color labels) or document. Also happens when you switch from landscape to portrait mode.

Itā€™s still annoying, so i gave up DynalistHQ as my system looks it canā€™t be solved, main reason could be that is not an Native iOS App but an Wrapper of the (Web)App.
It looks iā€™am the only who has this problem or it tells most of your users use the App on the Web or macOS or Windows where the App works fine.

I went to ā€œNoteplanā€ App which i like, i implemented my Digital BulletJournal system integrated with calendar and notes and works fine for me on iOS and macOS.

So if iā€™am the only one than forget my issue and move forward.

Kind Regards
Dimitry

Hi Dimitry,

I see, sorry about that, maybe the issue has changed slightly. I thought the issue was fixed (I personally tested it at that time), so I didnā€™t follow up with you promptly afterwards. Iā€™m very sorry about that!

I feel relieved though that your Bullet Journal is at least living well somewhere else now. At least you can still be productive :slight_smile:

Thank you and sorry again for not solving it sooner.

2 Likes

Hi All, In 2020 I started a daily bullet journal in Dynalist to rapidly log and then group ideas and topics using dynalist into a knowledge management system. It was simple and worked well on mobile. Learning from others I wanted to share my template for 2021.

Comments and ideas very welcome.

https://dynalist.io/d/NB0YbUCBOJeOhITdgoQQ3kyK

Iā€™ve been using paper and pen bullet journal (well my implementation of it which isnā€™t quite as strict) and now that Iā€™m about to start my 3rd notebook I do find that I struggle to find old content. Perhaps I shouldā€™ve been more strictā€¦!

Anyway, Iā€™m interested to see how others do bullet journaling, so thanks for sharing.

I was wondering why you donā€™t use checkboxes for tasks? Also how do you do your daily/weekly reviews?

I was thinking of having a date list:

• Year
    • Month
      • Week
        • Days

Then writing the weekly review at the week level, then monthly at monthly level? Not sure how itā€™ll work out. Alternatively I might make a new hierarchy for reviews and then just link to the days/weeks and write it out there.

Thanks for the qns. Here are a few comments

1. I create one journal/book for each year. So the dates are by week for now. Each journal with daily entry gets long so I want to keep it to a year.
  2. My tags help me creates topics of collection and knowledge management. I review the tags regularly. Some of my best tags are myactions mysuccesses mylearnings
    I love the fact I can track my top topics.

Tags seem to be more flexible than checkboxes. They r faster to create, can be grouped with key tag words, can easily be reviewed with the tag view. To explain further as i write an idea of it becomes a task I just add #myaction and itā€™s done. When I review them I can change the task to something else if needed.

If u r tempted to go digital and can let go of pen and paper. It is worth it.

Also look at the bullet journal webpage to get a better view of my method. See migration stuff.

Ps. U can do most of what I do on the free version to test it. But if u wish to subscribe here is my referral link to Dynalist https://dynalist.io/invite/0PZv_g

Grant

Okay I see now with the tags. That is a nice quick way, having not really used mine yet I havenā€™t seen how fast/slow checkmarks vs tags are. Also whilst on the free version the tag list view isnā€™t available. I could make a page with tags or search for just # or something.

I like your design of putting the latest date at the top. I made a list of days/weeks/months for 2021 but it starts in Jan and goes down to Dec. Likely thereā€™s more efficient ways, e.g. duplicating and other shortcuts or tricks. I like having a full calendar prepopulated so I can write stuff in advance

I think u may know this but on the free version u can save a tag search under bookmarks. I set this up with the first one to be my tag for actions. Note the rule about ancestor. It shows the sub bullets to any tagged bullet.

I clicked once and saw your list Grant, but now when I click it jumps to my DynaList. Is this a bug in sharing? @Erica

Maybe a bug. I found if I logged out on the web version I could see it. Another trick is to open the link in a different browser that does not have your Dynalist login.