Esc after global search leads to "No document is open" error

Steps to reproduce

1. Start with regular item open. Note that the URL has a valid doc ID, which will be marked in green:

2. Cmd-F and start typing search term. As you type, the items not matching your search get filtered out, in this case producing no results. Note the URL has your doc ID plus your search query in q parameter.

3. Not finding any results, hit Cmd-Enter as the filter dropdown suggests to expand search to all documents. Note the URL now has no doc ID, only search query.

4. Not finding any results still, hit Esc to back out. URL has stayed the same.

5. Oh well, that search was hopeless, let’s hit Esc again to get back to what we were doing. Doc URL was lost, and you’re nowhere.

Expected behavior

Retain doc ID for search to allow the user to properly back out of global search. Esc in step 3 should go back to step 2. Then Esc again should go back to step 1.

Environment

MS Edge 79.0.287.2, macOS 10.14.6

1 Like

Can’t repro on Windows Edge, have you tried other browsers on macOS? Does it happen there?

I can reproduce it easily on Google Chrome 77.0.3865.90. In your repro GIF, you’re clicking the back button on the browser, but that’s not in my repro steps; I’m pressing Esc on the keyboard to cancel each search.

You’re right, sorry I somehow did the repro steps wrong. That was stupid of me!

Thanks for catching this!

We have tracked this bug on our todo list, and will fix it as soon as we can! Thanks again for letting us know. I’ll update here when it’s fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Erica, is this one still on the radar? A fix that makes Esc key just function as browser’s back button at that “no results” point would be perfectly fine, I think! Which should be a low-risk fix.

2 Likes

It’s still tracked yeah. Going back may or may not do the correct thing, since if you search twice, going back would mean searching for the old search term?

Either way, I think we could solve this by looking for the last active document and opening that instead.

1 Like

I can no longer reproduce this bug, which I noticed a few weeks ago and meant to point out. I believe this can be safely marked as “Fixed” vs. just “Tracked”. Thank you!

1 Like