Cursor disappears when collapsing parent node (with mouse)

Steps to reproduce

• Create a node and a child node.
  • Place the cursor in the child node (ie edit it).
  • Click on the bullet point to minimise the parent node.

Expected result

The cursor should move to the parent node, at start or end of line, or perhaps select the whole node.

As a reference point, Workflowy goes to start of line. On the other hand, selecting the whole node would allow any Markdown to stay rendered, so it might be less jarring.

Actual result

The cursor disappears. Virtually all keyboard shortcuts stop working because nothing is selected. Must click to get things working again.

Environment

Windows 10, Chrome 59.

Additional information

n/a

Additional comments

I think itā€™s an important principle to make sure the focus always goes somewhere, and never disappears. Dynalist normally feels like a snappy text editor, but when this happens it really breaks flow.

If you (Dynalist) want to look it up, I reported this problem to Support last October in an email conversation, although I think Iā€™ve covered the important details here. This problem is an important factor for me if Iā€™m going to subscribe to Pro.

This bug can only be triggered with the mouse right now (because itā€™s the only way to collapse a parent node), but if these keyboard shortcuts are added, they may have the same problem:

1 Like

Hi @sys2061, thanks for the detailed report. Definitely something we should fix.

+@Shida, letā€™s fix this?

1 Like

I got a fix for this ready. Will be deployed sometimes later (expected within a day or two).

1 Like

Also happens if the parent is collapsed. If you zoom in on it and hit enter, no bullet points are visibly produced until you zoom out.

Looks like the fix is in, thank you very much!

I just found a related issue though. At the second reproduce step, if I select the entire child node (Shift-Up, or pressing the hamburger menu button to the left), the selection disappears when I collapse the parent node.

2 Likes

@Shida could you look at this? Thanks!

@sys2061 To make sure someone sees your message, use @ to at them is pretty effective :slight_smile:

Ah yes, the multiselect case is one I didnā€™t address. Will see what I can do.

@sys2061 seems fixed on my end, sorry for digging this up :grimacing:! Weā€™re cleaning up the bugs and would like to know if the bug is still happening to you? If not weā€™ll close this bug :slight_smile:

@Erica @Shida the ā€œrelated issueā€ is still there - if I select the child node with Shift-Up then click the button to collapse the parent node, the cursor disappears.

Thanks for the update, sorry for the late reply due to the holidays!

I was able toe reproduce the multiselect case of this bug. The issue has been tracked and we will fix it as soon as we can! Thanks again for letting us know.

@sys2061

Could you verify if itā€™s fixed now? Thanks in advance!

Yes, looks good now. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for verifying! Marking this as fixed :slight_smile: