Children switching parents mysteriously

Sorry, I donā€™t know how to reproduce it, but it keeps happening.

I have items with hundreds of items, and I donā€™t look at them every day since I use the ā€œmoveā€ command to send things to them. But thereā€™s this bug where I lose everything and I donā€™t notice for days, then I have to go back in version history, since the moment it occured, and reconstruct things. I lose data in the process because I donā€™t know exactly how to splice things back exactly. Anyway, hereā€™s the only evidence, sequential version history items . Maybe someone knows the cause?

Version 5:00pm, good

• item1
    • ā€¦hundreds of items

Version 5:01pm, What? Why did hundreds of items move down one item when I created Item2?

• item1
  • item2
    • ā€¦hundreds of items

Version 5:02pm, when I deleted Item2 here, having no idea it contained all my data

• item1
    • NOTHING

Version 5:03 - several days pass before I notice these data losses.

Anyone else get this problem?

My only theory is its something like this:

or maybe something involving backspace

When an items splits, I wish the children stay with the first character of the item, thatā€™s the oldest, the anchor, the little trailing new thoughts shouldnt be able to kidnap them when they split off, that doesnt make any sense to me, what scenario would that be desired? Seems dangerous.

Do you have ā€œUnindent items in-placeā€ turn on in your settings? It ā€œkindā€ sound like you create a list, and unindent item in the middle of the list with that option on. For my own experience with daily use that I never encounter this situation, and I donā€™t have that option turn on.

1 Like

Hmm, no itā€™s off.

Maybe it was just the bumpy bus causing my mouse to drag things. Who knows. Thank god for document version history tho, saved me.

Iā€™m so glad you were able to find most of the data from version history!

Need a bit of explanation here: in the ā€œitem1/item2/hundreds of itemsā€ example, was ā€œitem2ā€ typed in by hand or sent from somewhere else with the Move to feature?

It was the sort of thing Iā€™d hand type and delete soon after. I also do unindent and then indent in order to shiffle items to the bottom of lists, but I donā€™t think that could cause this. It was probably my fault for not noticing. I kind of wish there was a mode that items with children canā€™t be deleted. I think it was the fact that if you split an item, even just the last word of the item, the children follow that word, even though itā€™s a new thing. Im usually just trying to break a subitem out when I split an item with enter. Trips me up. Version history is very useful, I forgot it existed until I needed it.