Auto-focus doesn't work for saved searches

Steps to reproduce

1. Enable “Auto-focus on first item” in preferences
  2. Open a saved search via CMD+O

Expected result

The first result of the saved search should be selected and ready to be modified.

Actual result

Nothing is selected - there is no way to get to the items with keyboard-only.

Environment

Which operating system are you using? MacOS 10.15.1 (19B88)
Which browser are you using? Brave, but I’ve tested in the desktop app
If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist? 1.2.3
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack? no

Additional information

N/A

Additional comments

As a developer I love to use my system keyboard only. As I use saved searches in Dynalist countless times every day this issue forces me to always pick-up my mouse thereby interrupting flow.

I’m a bit torn by this because when you focus on a search item, the search highlight disappears and you’re left not knowing which part matched your search result. That means auto-focusing the first search result may be unwanted.

Perhaps focusing on the title (or current zoom item) instead of the first result would be a better implementation as an exception?

I am not sure I follow: What do you mean by “search highlight”? I also don’t understand your proposed alternative: would you mind posting a screenshot?

I am still new to Dynalist, so I just might not be aware of the whole Dynalist lingo. :sweat_smile:

This is what I mean by search highlight:

If you focus on the item, the highlight disappears, becoming like this:

The alternative would be to focus up top instead:

Oh, I might talk about different thing then:

I am referring to bookmarked searches - the (global) search queries which you can give a name and then you can open them by that name via CMD+O or the bookmark sidebar.

I understand what you mean. Once you open a bookmarked search, you’ll see highlights for your search term in the document. I’m referring to the highlight once the search happens.

Ah, got you: I was confused, as I my saved searches don’t search for words, but for properties, e.g.: until:today - so I don’t have highlights. :wink:

Not sure how focusing on the title would work for results like these, where there a multiple documents involved, but no titles as such.

I see what you mean.

Unfortunately for global searches, there’s currently no functionality to navigate them from the keyboard. Right now the only way to go to a result is to click on it…

Ah, feared that. Is such functionality planned for the future?

Btw, outstanding support here, thanks for replying so fast! :heart:

I don’t think we’ve heard of a request for this before so it’s unlikely this will make it into the priority list right now, but I’ll have it tracked as a feature request internally and hopefully we can get to it when we got time!

1 Like