Auto-detect theme option not working on Desktop App

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

1. Open dynalist desktop app on windows 10
  2. Open dynalist settings and set Theme option to “Auto-detect”
  3. Switch windows 10 theme to dark/light (I switched it from light to dark).

The dynalist won’t auto detect and switch to dark mode. I tried restarting the app but it didn’t work.

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

I expect dynalist to auto-detect my windows 10 theme (as the option says in settings) and switch to dark/light accordingly.

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

Environment

Which operating system are you using?
Windows 10 - 20H2

Which browser are you using?
If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
Dynalist 1.4.6 - Desktop App

Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
No.

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

1 Like

Yup it’s currently not working because we need to upgrade the electron engine. Will be scheduled to do that in an upcoming release.

With huge respect to the developers, I think they should remove the option of “auto-detect” from the desktop app. Because the electron engine hasn’t been updated for so long. That way when we see that option again, we know for sure that it’s working. This bug leaves such a bad impression on new users (not me, because I’m a very old user).

I never use Autodetect, I guess because it doesn’t work. I often use Settings to change from light to dark. One of the reasons is because I want Dark on my phone and Light on my desktop. Such arrangement is impossible. In fact, all appearance settings I want to do different on my phone:

Theme: autodetect vs white
List density: cozy vs comfortable
Display images inline
Font size medium vs small

Ideally all these would be specific to each machine, but if it was just separated into mobile and desktop that would be okay.

1 Like

Yes. Developers should allow “device-based” settings for layout. The use case you talked about is very legit and once implemented it would be used by many.

If you really want that, I’d be surprised if Custom CSS couldn’t do it.

These seem relevant:

https://dynalist.io/assets/css/theme_dark.css
https://dynalist.io/assets/css/theme_light.css

@media (prefers-color-scheme: light) {

}

@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {

}

Basically put all your phone preferences and copy/paste all the dark theme code into the dark one, and similar for the desktop in the light one.

This should now be fixed, but you’ll have to download the latest installer from our website, and replace your previous installation.