Android beta app thread

A bug when I choose to “Add Date” with the ! shortcut, or the “Add date” option. The calendar appears correctly initially, however, if I move to different month, the Month label disappears. I can still choose a date, however, I lose visibility to the specific month I am choosing for that particular date.

Thanks for the report! I’ll try to reproduce it and add it to the “Known issue” list if I can.

I just made the switch over from WorkFlowy this morning - I managed my entire life on WF, loved it,
but you guys have some of the features I need that they don’t seem to have any plans to add. Love
your app so far.

I installed the beta on a Nexus 4 this morning. First impressions are pretty good - other than the speed.
WorkFlowy Android is blazing fast.

Dynalist beta not so much … theres a distinctive lag on the initial download when opening the app up. Also the delay when choosing the ‘Refresh’ from the menu in the top right corner is 5 seconds or more.

Additionally:

I had a list in a document on the Windows desktop app:

• selected the entire list
  • made all the items a checklist
  • made sure the label in the desktop app says ‘Synced’
  • opened the document in the Android app

The list is still a standard list without checkboxes, they are not showing up in Android. They do show up in the web version - so the change was synced there.

To test this again, I made the top item in the list on the desktop version bold - made sure it was synced - then went back to the Android app - refreshed it - and the line is now bold. So in this case the bold change synced, but the checkmarks did not.

Thanks again for a great app guys, WF just lost 4.99 a month - if everything is still cool in a couple of weeks that will probably get transferred over to you!

Working on this, will probably have the optimization ready by some time next week!

Can’t replicate this, but it’s potentially caused by having a large document. I’ve seen cases where the checklist change takes longer to get synced visually. Also, when you don’t edit, the app syncs every 5 minutes at most, so that would be a reason why you think it’s not syncing. We’re implementing web socket for real-time updates soon, so that would fix it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed an issue today in the Android Beta (Are we still using this super thread for bugs even though it’s public beta now?)

anywho, what I noticed is if I want go to the beginning of an item with the cursor and then hit enter (to add an empty bullet on the line above the current one) it actually ends up putting the first word in the current bullet and creating a new bullet under it to add the rest of the line.

For example:

• My Sample line

So if I put the cursor before the ‘M’ in my, and then hit enter, what I end up with is:

• My
  • _Sample line

(Note the _ is actually a space but added here for demonstration). Now the difference is that the cursor will still be on the line with the word My (the cursor doesn’t go down to the next line).

If however I put the cursor after the y in my, and then I hit enter, what I end up with the same nodes, but the cursor is on the bottom line with the rest of the sentence.

Still having problems with system settings to Large Fonts. Sidebar looks messed up, as reported earlier, and bullets take up a whole line:

What’s your List density setting? I tried just Large font and everything is alright. I even set the font to Roboto…

And is that version 1.0.11? Thanks!

I just updated the Android app, and it looks like my list density is the largest possible. Even though I had it on compact. No matter what setting I use it doesn’t change.

1 Like

Sorry about that, it was caused by the frontend performance optimization. Fixing it right now and the extra spacing should go away in the next release!

1 Like

Where is the version visible?

System font is largest. Font setting in the app self not changed. List density makes no change to the above screenshot

I see, it could be because of the system font. Sorry I missed the “system” part.

You can see the app version in Google Play, but yeah, we should add an About for mobile as well.

Fixed in 1.0.16, sorry about that!

1 Like

Thanks! Looking better now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just downloaded the app and I’m unable to login. I don’t have a Dynalist login; I’ve just used my Google account. However, when I tap “Browser login” then “Sign in with Google” and select my email address, I just get a blank screen.

At first glance it would appear that Google is down, but Google never goes down. This might not be related to Dynalist, but as it stands I can’t log in to the Dynalist app.

The app still crashes every now and then, especially if I’m expanding lists or switching between them. Is this a known issue? I’m reluctant to use the app until it’s fixed as I don’t want to lose anything!

It’s a known for very large lists. Exactly how large would depend on how powerful your phone is…

Basically the phone cannot display so many things at once. The problem should subside if you separate large documents into smaller ones.

If the app is crashing for you on reasonable documents (like a few hundred items), that might be a different bug.

I didn’t read the full long thread below this, but will add a comment at this point.

I am also one of the people who are eager to see ways to channel info into DL, one way or another. And yes, the Android share interface would be nice, too. Although it would raise the same questions/challenges about managing “destinations” and so on - which are also being discussed in relation to the email input interface.

If the email interface is put in place, this can also serve as a “catcher” for Android shares - e.g. via apps like Email Me Pro where you can set up a number of predefined profiles that forward the shared info to a certain email address and with a certain title etc…

Although images/attachments are (probably) not considered for first version of the email interface.

I don’t personally have the need to capture a lot of images directly in DL.
If I get that usecase, I will probably set up an easy way to share the images to a cloud folder. Then on the desktop I will drag them into DL if that is where I need them.
(If e-mail input could accept them, I would probably have IFTTT/Zapier email them from the cloud drive).

For URLs I mostly use Pocket for the first, easy capture. They then go onwards to Evernote or my task manager via Zapier/email.
Of course the ability to share directly into DL would be nice.
(If the email input is in place first, I can of course insert it that way).

The most important usecase for me, regarding input to DL, is text notes though. At the very least in plain text. (Formatted/OPML would be good too of course).

I haven’t seen much mention of widgets yet (guess that comes later, after basic usability and stability is in place).

One big usecase for me would be to have simple 1x1 widgets that open a specific document or bookmark. That would be good support of many tasks. (And if there is a lack of “share functionality”, it can also help out in some of that. Opening a position quick for pasting).

Another one would be to show a list/window with content based on a search e.g. on tags or whatever. This could be a search defined in the widget, or a saved search in DL. (The latter is preferred, as this makes it easier to set / reestablish widgets on several devices).

3 Likes

Yes I would also love widgets, but also imagine that to be a little way down the line …

On another note I am still finding the dynalist app so slow as to be almost unusuable across three medium to high end android phones and continue to use the web based version instead, which is absolutely fine. Is this a known issue?

Personally I haven’t been distracted by speed issues. I use a Moto G5 Plus with 7.0 and Snapdragon 625.

My reasons for not being able to fully rely on the app version is mainly usability issues.
Biggest annoyance for daily use is that the app very often does not scroll to show the current line of what I am typing. Sometimes it is two lines behind. So I am typing blind.
Then at some random point it catches up. That’s a constant annoyance with all work I do in it.
I use Google’s own keyboard app that came with 7.0 so I assume that it is not a weird overlay problem due to bad app behaviour.