Adding Columns to Items

I am personally fine with storing that kind of information (tables and other structured documents) on other platforms, with links.
I do not intend to try to force DL to be everything for me. I donā€™t believe I can achieve that with any tool without compromising/sacrificing in a lot of other ways.

(I tried at first with Evernote - storage, task management, place to write content etc. but it became way too clunky).

Though a lot of tools overlap today (just look how many non-numbers things spreadsheets are used for today), there will always be tools that are best for their specific jobs.
As long as they can link well, thatā€™s the most important.

One thing that could be considered though, if a lot of users like to have stuff like tables, spreadsheets etc. inside their DL landscape is to make it easier to IMBED such things.
Ie. just set up your sheets, tables, graphs etc. in your other tools and imbed them in a bullet so you and view and manipulate them.

1 Like

Our view is pretty similar to yours. Embed sounds like the best solution, but it might make the web load a lot slower, as each embed is basically a web page within a web page. It could hog tons of resources too.

For that reason, good old links is a great way for now, until we figure out how to properly embed things (most likely after WYISWYG).

1 Like

maybe the table be displayed like a set thing with no zoomingā€¦
this could be awesomeā€¦
because many info exist in tablesā€¦and I cant transfer that info easily unto dynalistā€¦

this is the last step for me to migrate completely from OneNote to here.

Please please consider this. even if its simple (sayā€¦ only 2 or 3 columns max for each table) it could be very very useful in a great way.

In wiki you only need to separate them with a straight bar \ in the code and in the view form you see the table
so maybe it could be possible something like ā€¦
(bullet 1) $$$ Name $
(bullet 2) $ Lastname $$$(end of first row)
(bullet 3) $ John $
(bullet 4) $ Smith $
to see something like

Been checking out the new OmniOutliner (Pro) and Iā€™m pretty impressed with how their outlines handle columns.

Maybe a similar approach is worth considering? What does everyone think?

3 Likes

beautiful but it seems to be very complex. maybe the authors couldnt have time to create such a project. I dont know :sweat_smile:
It could be great though. I would love it. :hearts:

1 Like

It seems to me, similar to the MindMap, this would be a great candidate for alternative views of a document. @Erica I know you had mentioned in the past that one of your goals was alternative views for documents, like the mindmap. I can see a ā€œtableā€ view of a document being an option as well with Each main bullet on a document being a row, and each sub-bullet being the column for that row, all without the need for special mark-up syntax. Or alternatively each column (including header) being a main bullet with each item under it being a rowā€™s cell.

Even the Card view of Trello or Airtable could be accomplished in the same way by applying ā€˜viewsā€™ to data. So the idea of Viewā€™s is still an exciting option to me. Now making them ā€˜customizableā€™ might be more difficult beyond having a few standard views like mind map etc. But I certainly hope you keep with that early idea you had mentioned in the past and take it beyond just mind maps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for that, @butlermatt, especially about reminding us about our early vision.

I like the idea, itā€™s definitely more work if we set out to make the tables editable (writing an online Excel is no joke), but it solves most of the problem Iā€™ve seen in other proposals. Markdown/WYSIWYG tables lacks structure from the Dynalist perspective, whereas adding columns like OmniOutliner seems to complicate the outline too much.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

This is a fun challenge to noodle on. Dynalist already gets so much of the basics right that @Erica can afford to take the time to think it through properlyā€¦

For me, I think the problem weā€™re trying to solve just visualizing structured data. Outlines (and Dynalist especially) are great for visualizing hierarchies, less so for attributes.

Just like adding a note to a bullet solving a layout problem (you could just type the note in-between parentheses, etc.) maybe adding a column to a bullet is worth exploring. And then new bullets are rows, not sub-bullets. Iā€™d have to design the workflows to make sure Iā€™m not missing something but I think it could work.

I just had another instance where a table would have been handy, but I had another twist on it.

I was trying to make a list of the light fixtures in my house, so when I get to Home Depot Iā€™m not overwhelmed by the world-o-bulbs aisle!

I donā€™t really need a table. What I really want is a way to column align the parts of each bullet line (row). Like being able to put tabs into the string so things line up vertically.

I know Iā€™ve complained about Dynalistā€™s non-standard Markdown implementation, and Tables or Tabs would be another deviation point. But there is a reference, both Markdown Here and GFM support them.

So I would suggest using the vertical bar, or a double vertical bar (if Dynalist insists), to indicate a tab that should be inserted when the line is formatted.

Thanks,

Similar to Table functionality

2 Likes

Yes, the Markdown extension would seem to be simplest.

• A | B | C
  • 1 | 2 | 3

could make a 2x3 table.

1 Like

This is definitely a feature which would warrant itā€™s own View rather than being an inline item. Thereā€™s just so much you could do with a table whilst keeping it Dynalist-speedy and not bulking it down.

When I look at some of the data I wish I could sort into a table like health supplements and travel reviews what Iā€™m really looking at is how I can interact with the table, not just it being in a table format.

I donā€™t see a feature like defining a column field type (e.g. text, number, image, due date) working well with a small inline table - it needs a full page view to have some ways to interact with the data.

One thing Iā€™m going to do this year is reconsider my Dynalist subscription.

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s anything better out there, but two things Iā€™m looking for in a light-weight out-liner/to-do list/brain-stormer like Dynalist is

1. Column alignment between rows so I can make information more readable (like a table, but I donā€™t need to sort and filter); and
  2. Some kind of Gmail add-on (also GCalendar and GDocs ideally).

Of course this makes me think I should just give up and use GTasks, GKeep, and GDocs/Sheets but theyā€™re either totally lame compared to Dynalist or way overkill (I have a few GSheets that are ideal for Dynalist but I need the info column aligned).

So what Iā€™m saying is I really hope to see movement from Dynalist on the subject of columns/alignment with in items.

Thanks,

2 Likes

I just discovered I can insert tab characters into a line by holding down the Alt key and then pressing zero and then nine on my number pad.

Copy and pasting that sequence doesnā€™t work, each tab becomes a space. Even when copy-pasting a whole line the tabs are converted to spaces.

So this is not the solution, but I guess itā€™s a work-around until there is a solution.

Maybe in the item menu, add an option to Make table in the Make checklist section? Or just go with double-bar (||) markdown to indicate column alignment?

Thanks.

6 Likes

I agree.

I tried to replicate this on my Pixelbook Chromebook, but it kept opening Google Photos in a new tab. So strange.

Iā€™m doing this using Comodo Dragon browser (chromium based) on Windows 8. Iā€™ll try my HP Chromebook at home tonight.

I so wish Dynalist would implement tables like this.

Iā€™m using GSheets for a few notes where what I really need is a table in Dynalist. Itā€™s just a few rows of tabular information and I have several tables on the same sheet/page (under different headings and with different dimensions). Iā€™m not interested in sorting, or filtering, or calculations, pivot tables, graphs, or anything like that - just the tabular presentation.

GDocs would be way overkill too. And if it takes so long to open a document then I put it off, and it becomes out of date, and eventually totally useless.

So @Erica a lightweight table in a lightweight app like Dynalist would be ideal!!! Please talk to your developers about it!

Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ve been wanting tables and some other Powerpack 3 functionality such as the ability to embed videos, websites and documents as well as panels and popups to be built-in. Powerpack 3, built by the genius @Piotr, tremedously expanded how I see Dynalist and has enabled me to turn it into a digital scrapbook.

Iā€™d love for the ability to sort data in tables alphabetically or by highest and lowest number, if possible.

sorting is a nice to have, but is it necessary, if they are other table like apps for that?
However a horizontal view would still be useful. Ive suggested this a few time ways to to better use the horizontal space but seems according to the roadmap they are other priorities. I will consider notion because it seems to have both outline view and a horizontal trello view in one.

Even though I donā€™t want to leave Dynalist I have been poking around at a few alternatives last week so I hope someone here provides some insight into their roadmap.

The closest thing Iā€™ve found is Checkvist. It has tables and a kind of Gmail awareness, and also better Markdown support, hardcore keyboard navigation, and an active community. Other aspects Iā€™m not crazy about though.

Iā€™m also checking out GTDNext, since Iā€™m using Dynalist for GTD, but itā€™s hardly a drop-in replacement, and the community isnā€™t very active so Iā€™m not sure the project is going any where. BUT it is designed for GTD so I donā€™t have to figure out how to use a generic tool for that specific purpose and it ensures Iā€™m not cheating.

I would love to give Moo.do more consideration but I feel like I would have to give up using Gmail and GCal directly and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m ready to do that! Plus, they donā€™t have tables :disappointed:

Also, Coda.io and Notion.so are awesome, but wouldnā€™t consider them to replace Dynalist. And, they donā€™t have simple tables like Iā€™m looking for - only fancy spreadsheet/database tables. Honestly, Google should buy them both, put all their employees on the GDrive team, and finally come up with a worthy successor to Google Notebook (and competitor to OneNote, Evernote, etc).

3 Likes

Any update on when we will get this feature?