2020 September Update?

Noticibly missing from the blog! :pensive:

https://blog.dynalist.io/

Q3 of this year also looking conspicuously lighter compared to the other quarters. Obsidian becoming the priority!?

1 Like

Obsidian has taken us quite a bit of time, and also because it’s harder to work on a nature product. The foundation was never designed for any of the big, remaining feature requests (split screen, transclusion, etc.).

We’ll definitely be fixing any serious bugs, but I’d expect the trend to continue.

September update: https://blog.dynalist.io/2020-september-update/

4 Likes

The foundation was never designed for any of the big, remaining feature requests (split screen, transclusion, etc.).

So, maybe an idea to focus on the smaller (easier?) feature requests to maintain a bit of momentum?

Aye, yeah. I’d hope something like bookmark folders would be one of the ‘smaller (easier)’ requests. At least compared to split view! :thinking:

1 Like

But Dynalist definitely isn’t being abandoned, right?

I need to renew my subscription soon, and would like to do so knowing service will be reliable for the next year (and hopefully long after that…)

1 Like

I just praise and repeat your words. I really hope this service never stops working or never gets abandoned.
It looks a bit clear that it’s not having much attention lately and I believe it’s due to the new system they came up with. I totally understand that and it’s perfectly fine to have another brand of business, but I wish they could have some more developers to take care of Dynalist, to work on the Improvements and/or bug fixes.

Looking at the Obsidian page, in the About Us section, besides Shida and Erica, there are also two cats that are part of the team. I wonder if they can also help with the development and program something… That could help :wink:

Obsidian has taken us quite a bit of time, and also because it’s harder to work on a nature product. The foundation was never designed for any of the big, remaining feature requests (split screen, transclusion, etc.).

I strongly suggest you read Working Effectively with Legacy Code, by Michael Feathers. It is an acknowledged classic. The path he outlines, of test-managed refactoring, is far superior project-wise to starting from scratch.
Unless you believe you have a simple path forward from your Obsidian codebase, I would not advise making DynaList 2 from scratch. Most such projects fail because it takes to long to reach a comparable level of code to the previous. Workflowy apparently managed, but it was definitely a downturn for their company, all the time they spent rebuilding it.

I agree with this. In my opinion, ongoing basic quality improvements with DynaList are more important than split screen, transclusion, pretty much all the big ticket items, if those items are going to require massive effort to get off the ground.

Since backlinking was introduced and mobile multi-select, I haven’t felt any major obstacles to doing smoothly what I want in DynaList.

1 Like