2020 June update (Backlink, new theme and font)

Ditto. Is this web only at this point?

Any plans for the mobile app or desktop app? And I just switched to using the desktop app for the offline save, and now this comes around.

1 Like

Wow Dynagods! Native backlinking! I’m almost speechless. This will surely give Roam a run for its money. Only thing I am worried about is durability. Will this work if I export it and import it in another account or software? I guess not…

So then we are back to tags. (They will work forever). Could you please show a number behind every tag too? Maybe one to signal how many in current document and one to signal how many total in other documents.

Eg:

1/0 (Only used once)
1/3 (Once in this document and 3 times in other documents)

4 Likes

Also nice work on the gold theme.

1/1 and 1/4 seem more natural. Not that i need that feature.

Yes per-document. I wish I can “send away” the indicators/counters for a moment to see/edit my content without clutters while still be able to use backlinks, just like what we do with notes (see only first line or notes icon).

Put up a request as well:
https://talk.dynalist.io/t/backlinks-toggle-in-a-view-options-b-keymap-keyboard-shortcuts/

1 Like

Awesome! I fell in love with backlinks since discovering obsidian, nice to have that Dynalist now too!

1 Like

I’m playing around with this, and (other than the clunky-long-link issue above) I’m reaaaally liking having pages rather than tags for organising tasks a la GTD e.g. here I have a list of ‘types of task’ pages (and you can see how many tasks of each type I have - just setting this up now I have a LOT more tasks than this of course :pensive:):

and I link to one or multiple of them in the note section e.g. for the below task which has to be done at a computer:

I can then click on the computer link to see all the links to that page i.e. all the computer tasks I have. I could of course cross reference with priority pages, energy levels, or whatever, as well as the project the task belongs to. The nice thing is unlike tags you can just click on the link to go to that ‘place’ (clicking on a tag would of course search at the current level) and also of course you can have content on that actual page e.g. good advice about those particular kinds of task.

This is particularly nice for project / task connections. Imaginary project example:

This all makes it really nice to ‘click around’ and see the connections between your stuff.

Also instead of having to do [[ you can of course use text expansion programs like autohotkey to spit out your links for you.

Having fun here, thanks guys! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just noticed something else … unlike all other searches in dynalist, the backlink search is ‘live’ i.e. if you have one instance of dynalist sat in an item, and then in another instance you create a link to the first item, that link appears in the backlinks section of the first without having to refresh or anything … nice!

2 Likes

I have a little trouble seeing the improvement over tags. Could you perhaps expand on why this is better than tagging?

I am not sure I would use this instead of tags, however what @Stephen_Dewitt described is exactly how tag systems are implemented in Roam.

1 Like

@Erica I only see the backlinks preference in the web app. It’s not shown in preferences on iPadOS, iOS, or macOS apps. Am I missing something?

Also, this section (“This item is referenced in…”) shown in the blog does not appear in Dynalist web version in Safari 13 on macOS, when backlinks is activated. No content blockers are on. No custom CSS configured in settings.

No does this appear in Edge on Windows 10. FWIW, doesn’t work anywhere for me.

Screenshot of Safari (7-3-20, 7-25-25 PM)

Mmm the benefit for linking tasks to projects is probably quite obvious, but in terms of my GTD contexts, the functionality is the same as tags I agree, just a slightly different UI / experience so very much personal preference. I just don’t get on very well with searches as a main part of my system and psychologically really prefer having a ‘place’ to go, plus a list of those places which act as reminders of what I should be checking - plus the minor advantage of being able to click the link to go to that place (and bounce around your lists by chaining through links) which you can’t do with tags (you have to run a search to see the equivalent list of items)

1 Like

Shameless plug: Quick Dynalist had this for a long time :slight_smile:

But nice to see this in the web now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great! We need to take one more small step - unlinked mentions

1 Like

That doesn’t work for Dynalist, unfortunately. Dynalist tracks items and documents by id, not title. Consequently you can have documents of duplicate names in Dynalist but not Roam Research.

Would hate such setup getting buried under an announcement post. Maybe you can share it in Share & Showcase when you have time? :smiley:

It will be available on the desktop app and Android app very soon (in fact we just did some fixes for backlinks, so that the desktop apps don’t need to be updated twice). iOS will come later – Apple has rolled out some new policies that we need to comply to, sigh… :pensive:

1 Like

Good point, will be fixed in the next web release.

Will be fixed in the next web release.

1 Like

Aww thanks yea maybe once I’ve lived with and refined it for a while :slight_smile: