What features would make the Pro plan more lucrative?

Love this sugesstion

2 Likes

ive been using it on chrome since i started with lastpass. it was so long ago now that i was having trouble with those types of logins that i cant remember what the problem was exactly, but it think it was something to do with url not matching.

i havnt warmed up to that name yet :smiley:

2 Likes

I know this is a super old thread, but having just recently been a victim of a data breach from another cloud-based product that I use, Iā€™m extremely interested in this feature. Iā€™d willingly pay a substantial premium (on top of Pro) in order to keep my data out of the cloud and still use Dynalist. Is there any hope of this being a reality anytime soon? (Like, within the next year or so?)

Hereā€™s a card on our roadmap that you can vote for: https://trello.com/c/46l658SA/146-pro-true-offline-mode

Within the next yearā€¦ thatā€™s possible, but no guarantee. Technical issues left aside, weā€™re a little concerned that data corruption would happen eventually, and because itā€™s not on the cloud, thereā€™s not much we can help.

We have heard about quite some cases like these ā€“ for some reason the Dynalist folder gets modified into a state that Dynalist canā€™t parse them. I suspect it could be things like anti-virus or storage management software, but we canā€™t tell yet. Anyway, in unfortunate cases like this, we tell the users to delete their local and pull a fresh copy from the cloud, which will work wonderfully. This trick wonā€™t work for a truly offline client.

I understand you want it. Just thinking we need to convey this risk properly, which is a challenge. People often donā€™t realize how bad it would be before running into situations like thisā€¦ when your entire Dynalist becomes unreadable :frowning:.

Still, I like the idea, and it seems to be the trend nowadays.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, Erica.

While indeed this is an old thread, it might be a good way to check what Pro user would want the most. For me such a list would be as follows:

• More powerful editor - there are some things that editor is lacking to make it more productive
  • More short-cuts available, better efficiency in often-done tasks (there are good short-cuts already present, but they are not enough)
  • New presentation layout - API discussion in progress, I know :slight_smile:
  • Recurring tasks - itā€™s just a must-have for day to day planning using Dynalist.
  • Tip of the day for advanced users - there isnā€™t much need to show how to do basic stuff. But I really like to know how to use Dynalist more efficiently (or perhaps several articles in your FAQ would do the trick?)
  • Range and progress presentation - Iā€™ve already suggested it and it might be only personal thing, but it is Great to see the full progress bar on some difficult and long project filled.

Also Iā€™d like to add one thing that should NOT be in Pro features. Currently popup dialog with notifications about date/time of the tasks is only available in Pro through Google Calendar. But truth be told, even in basic Dynalist there should be a simple popup with reminder when the time for a task is coming. A lot of basic and free organizing/note-making/workflow applications have that feature. And I checked a lot of them until was able to find Dynalist. Not having it makes Dynalist lookā€¦ lacking where it really shouldnā€™t. So it would be:

• Dynalist - basic popup without GCal integration or nice additional features that are to come.
  • Dynalist Pro - full integration with additional features.

Thanks

Instead of having True Offline Mode, could we have it for some documents, with an option to set a folder (on the local disk) to save the contents to? Would that make it easier to implement?

I think thatā€™s basically what True Offline Mode entails :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI moo.do has just moved away from syncing to the userā€™s private Google Drive over to Firebase. Their former approach worked well for me and others whose workplaces use Google behind the firewall. In other words, no external data storage/syncing was taking place - all data was staying behind the corporate firewall. This was a huge differentiator for moo.do compared to other solutions like Dynalist. Now that differentiator is gone (although they are talking about implementing a true offline mode, it is not in place yet).

So, I would just reemphasize that there is a large underserved market out there of corporate users who have no options right now because their data must remain on the laptop or at least behind the firewall. With ā€œtrue offlineā€, Dynalist has an opportunity to fill that void. This is a ā€œplease take my moneyā€ type of situation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now the biggest problem is data recovery. Version history works with the server only, so thereā€™s no way to revert accidentally deleted data, unless if you do a full dish recovery. Does that sound the risk is worth it? We could port version history to offline, but it would take quite some work.

By the way, are you the same person who commented on our Trello card waaay back? https://trello.com/c/46l658SA/146-pro-true-offline-mode

1 Like

I would take your responsibility for data recovery off the table. Once the user chooses to run offline, itā€™s on them. Right now one can download a backup to plain text or OPML. If that functionality remains, super, it makes it easy for the user to run that once/day or once/week or whatever. But I would absolutely not let this stand in your way.

Given that Iā€™m currently stuck with no solution at work, which is terrible, I was reading back through Product Hunt yesterday. There are many quality options out there - but every one of them syncs only to the cloud (no local option). There is just such a clear opportunity here for someone to set themselves apart and tap into a large segment of the market that has money to spend.

And yes, that was me on Trello! Thanks

3 Likes

Still not sure how this relates to Dynalist Proā€¦ You mean we should make Pro features more discoverable so people are aware of their usefulness?

You should definitely do that. Instead of HIDING pro features from regular users, you should make them show like normal but disabled and with a ā€œPROā€ label affixed.

That is toally correct. In my company every application wich synchs to any kind of cloud is straight out of hell :wink:
So me and some of my colleagues have to use Dynalist undercoverā€¦ :male_detective:

I suppose there are two options here: private cloud or no server. Private cloud means the DL people have to be able to replicate their tech to a private company cloud. I imagine thatā€™s the only way sync will be possible.

If you go serverless I suppose that entails a directory with files anc subfolders. This setup would allow someone to use CVS to share, archive and version documents.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely. It will be more work for us if people want to collaborate on a private cloud. Strictly offline (single person on a computer) requires less work.

Good to know! I guess the policy has its reasons, albeit inconvenient. Only if Dynalist has a local version!

1 Like

Yep, clever idea. Weā€™re doing that with recurring tasks right now, hopefully itā€™s not too intrusive.

1 Like

Great topic!

I would be great if there was a way to quickly move an item to the bottom of the current lists it in. Like in a list of rotating projects, instead of checking doneā€¦ we can send it to the bottom or (top ) of the list and focus on the next project or item in the queue.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion. We have customizable shortcuts to go to start/end of the list in keymap, but nothing for moving it there. We can simply add a customizable shortcut for it.

Do you want to start a new feature request thread for it? :smiley: Weā€™d really appreciate that!

Hey, new to the forum: So, I am wondering that for version history something like this would be amazing, although, I am not sure about the demand for this:

1 Like