Pasting into list deletes some spaces

When pasting text into Dynalist some random spaces are missing in the pasted text. This issue is not always present, I think it is more likely to occur when copying from a Microsoft program (Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, etc.)

Source:

Result:

Yes, I find this happening fairly frequently. Next time I will make a note of when it occurs.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? It happens when copying from Microsoft applications from a bulleted list. I havenā€™t been able to identify any patterns. Seems to be with random characters.

Hi @Michael_Benzimra, could you try pasting to a plain text editor and again into Dynalist? If that doesnā€™t fix Iā€™m out of ideas.

I believe it has something to do with how Microsoft Office programs encode things.

So copying from plain text fixes it, but Iā€™m trying to copy a bulleted list from Outlook and copying that into plain text kills the indentation and turns the bullets into extra characters.

Somehow Workflowy handles this issue correctly, but I like you guys better so help fix it :slight_smile:

We hope so too!

Right now the issue is that we canā€™t pinpoint the problem just yet. I remember we tried to tackle this issue but ended up thinking itā€™s just how Word is.

We can try fixing it again, now with more knowledge on this.

A favor to ask: could you provide a Word document that when copied to Dynalist can consistently produce this issue? I tried randomly typing things into Word but didnā€™t find anything deleted spaces.

You can directly drag and drop to upload to the forum. Thanks in advance!

I have a .doc file removes spaces for me when copied into Dynalist but the spaces remain when itā€™s copied to Workflowy.

I canā€™t upload it though through the site because it is not an authorized extension. Can I email it?

Sorry, my bad!

Just whitelisted .doc and .docx files, could you try again?

File attached Dynalist Test.docx (12.7 KB)

Thanks Michael! Weā€™ll look into this issue and post any updates here.

Thanks again for providing the test document! :smiley:

I have a fix ready and it will be deployed before Monday!

1 Like

Hi @ladyWildfire, sorry for digging this up! Weā€™re cleaning up the bugs and would like to know if the bug is still happening to you? If not weā€™ll close this bug :slight_smile:

I noticed sometime in the last few weeks I stopped experiencing this issue.

1 Like

Very nice, closing this then!

Cleaning up the bugs before New Yearā€¦ :shower: