Expected behavior when complete zoomed in item

In the context of issue #1345, what do you expect to happen if:

• Have setting on to Hide checked/completed items
  • Are zoomed in to an item
  • Complete that top item
  • Stay in the item, top item crossed out and everything grayed out (current DL behavior)
  • Pop out of item to its parent, completed item is hidden (Workflowy behavior)

0 voters

Personally, I donā€™t ever think a formatting change, such as completing an item, should ever cause a navigation event to happen. If I complete something, itā€™s not up to dynalist to decide that Iā€™m completely done with an item and move me away from it.

I guess I donā€™t view completing an item as a formatting change. Itā€™s an action on my list, a to-do that Iā€™m completing. Making text bold is a formatting change. To me itā€™s like being in a contacts app, and saying I want to stay in a contact when I deleted it.

Plus, recall, this is with the setting on that already says I want to Hide completed items. Anyway, thatā€™s why I mentioned in the linked issue that this could be a preference.

@Alex_Pasternak you probably want to bold this part ā€œHave setting on to Hide checked/completed itemsā€, itā€™s a little easy to miss and result in inaccurate votes.

I canā€™t 100% agree with this partā€¦ when you delete the current root item Dynalist does zoom out.

With ā€œhide checkedā€ setting, itā€™s more complicated than that. It asks the question if hiding checked items is closer to having them shown or having them hiddenā€¦ which I canā€™t clearly tell myself. Thatā€™s why I suggest making the ā€œHave setting on to Hide checked/completed itemsā€ part bold before there are more votes.

1 Like

@Erica, done, good idea. And I agree about the not-quite-accurate comparison.

I actually would add a 3rd poll item, ā€œEither, depending on a new configuration settingā€, but I donā€™t know if adding a new poll item will erase the previous results, which I donā€™t want to do.

I think it would, unfortunately (I remember doing it before and regretting it :frowning:).

Too bad we canā€™t @ a group of people who like to cast votes to gather more opinionsā€¦ I proposed that in a topic I posted earlier: Meta poll: should we open a ā€œpoll groupā€?

1 Like

i dont use it, but im going to propose a related feature on the topic

when something is completed,

• it should auto-deleted
  • or auto-moved to some archive note/page/space for the pack-rats out there

the auto-move is the proposal, the auto-delete has likely already been expressed in the past & in various other topics by ppl

If you set checked items to hidden, itā€™s sort of like items are being auto-deleted when you check them.

Honestly I donā€™t like the idea of auto permanently deleting items upon being checked. They might be useful in the future for the userā€™s references, so I donā€™t think they should be deleted before the user explicitly delete them.

1 Like

Completely agree that permanently deleting items is not a good idea. Handling archival / deletion of really old items can be a separate feature, and explicit deletion is an existing feature.

@Erica, given the survey results being 50% for ā€œPop out of item to its parent, completed item is hiddenā€, any chance of adding that as a behavior? This is something that I would still really like, as it would save a zoom out step each time.

Yeah, I can see us adding an advanced option for this.

Added to our wishlist list ā€“ will update here if we implement it. Thanks!

1 Like