Dynalist placeholders

Itā€™s wonderful how easy it is now to quickly send information and links to the Inbox. But as a consequence, there is the challenge of working through the Inbox pile and moving items to their appropriate place. When I place a term in the move dialogue, I often get a bewildering number of potential destinations. all featuring the same word.

Iā€™ve developed a workaround by nominating key items as ā€œplaceholdersā€ which function as default locations for relevant information in that area. I do this by prefixing the ā€œ=ā€ symbol to the item. Then I type a ā€œ=ā€ into the move dialogue to bring up the available placeholders.

For me, placeholders are a subsidiary of bookmarks and documents. They are useful primarily for storing information, but I do also have ā€œ= Todayā€ and ā€œ= Tomorrowā€ placeholders for quickly categorising actions for my workbench.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a clever solution. I like it.

Ya I do similar. I make sure thereā€™s a unique format to the key phrases I move things to. Move search is a wild animal otherwise. Itā€™s absolutely nuts sometimes, I donā€™t know any other search that works the way it does. Itā€™s like a character by character regex function is running behind the scenes. If you type bus the top result might be [b]ees are really cool and i love them and [u] should too [s]illy then the second result is ā€˜stuff to do on the bus ride homeā€™ and Iā€™m like come on lol

2 Likes

Good idea. I do something similar with frequently used areas in my document. I use multiple characters so that they are also more visible in searches, for example:

====

++++

and so on