! does not always bring up date picker

Steps to reproduce

• Particularly in large documents, use ! which should bring up date picker. Sometimes this works, but frequently it doesn’t. After backspacing and trying again, it usually works on 2nd or 3rd try.

Expected result

• Space followed by ! should bring up date picker every single time.

Environment

FF 58, macOS 10.13.3

Additional information

Since this is not 100% reproducible, I made sure to capture a few instances of this problem in action. In small documents, I feel that this happens less often. However, it doesn’t seem related to what’s rendered on screen, as I can be zoomed into an item with almost nothing in it and still reproduce this, as seen here.

Repro 1 (animated GIF, please click to view)

Repro 2 (click to view)

Note that this may be a related issue, but is not the same

Odd, definitely looks like a bug.

In both of the GIFs, is “Test note” an empty item or an empty document? Since you mentioned that it happens more often with large documents.

Yes, it’s a sub-node in a large document. However, as I noted above

it doesn’t seem related to what’s rendered on screen, as I can be zoomed into an item with almost nothing in it and still reproduce this, as seen here.

However, just now I tried and was able to also repro in a tiny document, albeit much less frequently. I was typing text like this, but obviously in normal use the ! is just used normally, not in junk like this. About 2-3 instances of space then ! below did not bring up the picker.

Test ! ! ! test !(2018-01-30)
Hello? ! ! this is @Jane ! ! !j ljfal. !!! ! testing! ! ! !(2018-01-30) test
atest ! tset ! hello. !! 1 1 ! !

I tried that but still can’t repro it…

Do you mean there’s a higher chance of seeing this issue happen if you have lots of !s in the item?

It’s hard for me to know, but it seems that way. As I mentioned, during normal use in my typical large project-tracking document, the number of ! is normal. The flow is frequently enter some sentence that needs a date, ! doesn’t do anything, backspace it, ! doesn’t show again, backspace it, ! again and it brings up the picker.

Perhaps rendering is slowed down in some cases? Not sure if it’s related, but I actually have another rendering bug that I see sometimes, where dates don’t get rendered (one of my big backlog of issues to enter about Dynalist, as I don’t want to spam the forums for everything). Since this one is just for display, it’s a more minor one vs. the picker.

Could be, but I imagine if it’s a rendering delay, the picker should show up after a second rather than not at all.

I’ve never seen this happen personally or hear anyone else report this, so I have to ask whether you have any extensions installed that might interfere with this?