What actions would you like to have a custom shortcut for?

Got it, that makes more sense when read in combination with his comment. Thanks for the explanation!

Yes, what he said.

It’s all about orientation. When I’m down in a subtree somewhere I often have no real idea where I am (I know I can look at the tree at the top of the page, but that involves thinking about it). With a 1 click move to the top node of a document I’m suddenly back somewhere rock solid and know exactly how to do whatever I want from there.

2 Likes

Insert Link.

Some apps just ctrl K, which automatically inserts []() and moves the cursor in between the brackets.

1 Like

Alt+C does not toggle completed items in Firefox 70 on Windows. Whereas Ctrl+O in Workflowy does and it helps greatly, because I can focus on content with both hands without reaching for the mouse (to click on EYE icon) every now and then. Erica, would you mind adding proper keyboard shortcut as well?

That was from 2 years ago.

This is the newest info on Dynalist shortcuts:

There’s no longer a built-in shortcut for toggling the visibility of checked items, but you can customize it.

Shortcut customization is available for paid users only, right?
So I am unable to do that, because I’m trying out Dynalist as a free user.
Please, add some shortcut to toggle completed items available for all users.

Alt+C was interfering with people who use keyboard layouts like German keyboards. You can refer to this blog post for more info: https://blog.dynalist.io/shortcut-changes/

It’s fine that you’re using all the features for free, but unfortunately we can’t accommodate everyone. It’s not sustainable that way either.

For now, it’s possible to toggle checked items in the free version, it just takes more steps, which I think is fair. Also, if I remember correctly this is the first time we’ve heard this request after removing it, so unfortunately I don’t think it’s a popular request despite you would find it useful. Sorry!

If you’d like to try out Dynalist Pro, we’re happy to provide a free trial and you can see for yourself if the time saving and productivity boost is worth the price.

June, 2020. Still using Workflowy instead of Dynalist because developers like Erica still do not grasp which features any decent outliner should have out of the box for free. What is an outliner in its core? Hierarchy of bullets and lines, crossed out and not. So switching between states (completed, not completed) is a crucial thing. Workflowy grasped that from the day one and introduced Ctrl+O shortcut which works for the most layouts and browsers from the day one, whereas Dynalist provides bunch of shortcuts for bells & whistles like color labeling, but neglects to fulfill one of the basic expectations which is switching states via keyboard.

I think “bells & whistles” is a relative value. Colour labelling is critical for me. It gives me an immediate visual cue to the state of an item (critical, active, waiting, future, etc.). This is one feature that offers a clear advantage to others such as Workflowy and Roam. It’s why Dynalist is a well-made platform for everyday knowledge work.

3 Likes

I see your point, which is fair, and it does sound like WorkFlowy is a better tool for you. Doesn’t sound like Dynalist is made for you if you think all the additional features are bells and whistles, so I would suggest sticking with WorkFlowy. Although we’d certain like people to try out Dynalist, we respect that people each have their own use cases and there’s no single tool that satisfies everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

Would really appreciate it if you could open a new feature request thread to continue the conversation if you’d like. Note that the original post is for Pro users to suggest what actions they’d like as new custom shortcuts, not adding a default to an existing shortcut. Thanks for understanding!

8 Likes

A gracious and considered response Erica.

It’s one of the many reasons why we’re here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For record only.

Side request made for Backlinks Toggle:
https://talk.dynalist.io/t/backlinks-toggle-in-a-view-options-b-keymap-keyboard-shortcuts/

I really love this go to child idea.
It’s also good to have ‘Export’ shortcut, currently we need to use mouse to open menu and select export, it’s better to allow us create a shortcut for it.

A “Find” that searches the whole document. In otherwords, you can be drilled down to a deep node, hit the hotkey, and it filters the very top node. I rarely want to filter a deep node, so it’s frustrating to always hit the “up to parent” hotkey over and over before searching.

Alternatively, if you let us chain a sequence of hotkey commands under a single hotkey press, I would be able to solve my issue myself, and we could create a lot of new, powerful hotkeys for ourselves.

Edit: just noticed this is a OLD thread. Who bumped this lol.

I’ve found this old thread searching for a quick way to show/hide images. Is there a hope that “Toggle image preview/inline” would ever get a shortcut?

Who knows, but for now I use CSS to show a tiny thumbnail of the image, which expands to full size on hover.

I’m using #nextsetp tag to mark some sections of my bullets, on every subject I create a subbullet called #nextsteps. I would like to be able to search for all of them and once searched be able to expand them (without expanding all other bullets) so a shortcut like "expand all selected"

Another good idea would be a shortcut to just insert a specific common tag as #nextsteps, just with the stroke of a combination of keys, like the one to insert present day, but with the tag that I select.

Another use case would be when you are working on a new subject and you want to tag ancient notes to mark them as interesting for your new essay.

First solved search Parent:#nextstep

Can there please be a keyboard shortcut to open/close things like a dropdown rather than opening/closing the entire page? Something equivalent to ctrl+↔ in Notion. This would be incredibly helpful, thank you!

ctrl+↔ doesn’t do anything for me in Notion.

What are “things”? Documents? Nodes? What does closing “like a dropdown” mean? Collapse? What is an entire page? A browser tab? A dynalist document?