Table of Contents (TOC) Panel

Currently I’m using Dynalist to write journal and the document is structured like this:

• Jan
    • 01 Sun
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
    • 02 Mon
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
    • 03 Tue
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
    • 30 Mon
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
    • 31 Tue
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
  • Feb
    • 01 Wed
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
    • 02 Thu
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry
    • 03 Fri
      • first entry
      • second entry
      • third entry

The document would grow longer everyday and eventually become difficult to navigate.

Can we have some feature like a separate Table of Contents (TOC) panel besides existing Bookmarks and My files panels?

For example, a panel shows only the first and second levels of the lists (even better if this is customizable) like this:

• Jan
    • 01 Sun
    • 02 Mon
    • 03 Tue
    • 30 Mon
    • 31 Tue
  • Feb
    • 01 Wed
    • 02 Thu
    • 03 Fri

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this sounds exactly like what you described: https://trello.com/c/Bwzfc0Bj/103-overview-panel

1 Like

It does!! Thanks Erica!

1 Like

Cool! Got vote for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about a panel that shows headings?

2 Likes

I trid the same thing (journal) but organized it in reverse (most recent date at the top) - and add each day as I go - that way it is easier to navigate because recent entries are at the top and adding a new entry is just added at the top. Hope that explanation makes sense

2 Likes

Ah, so in that case, having a way to reverse the order of bullet points might help.

I definitely think that adding some sort tools to selected sets of bullet points would be a great addition

but…

that’s what outlines are for, they’re a content list in and of themselves

they dont need this additional ‘document outline’ function that g-docs has

what would be better is to improve the expand/hide bullet points function

this improves on the core, instead of ‘extras’

• 1-click or shortcut (shortcut is better) to show all ‘highest-level’ points would suffice

and another shortcut for the next level down for all points if there was a future need

1 Like

Currently the workaround for this is using Ctrl+Shift+. and then expanding points manually (otherwise using the shortcut to expand it would open everything).

And then with Symbolic Links or Clones (which is not a feature yet), a TOC could be always available for view.

1 Like