Split screen

I just went and tried it out, it’s actually nicely done, it works nicely if you put Workflowy into full width view and works whether you’re zoomed to the actual item in board view of are at the level of its parent.

Given Workflowy doesn’t seem to get much development of love I’m quite surprised.

I would love to see something like this in Dynalist. The geek in me thinks it would be nice to have it configurable, i.e. not to just use the immediate child nodes of the node you’ve selected to be a board but maybe an option to use tags as well … but even just copying what Workflowy has done would be good.

Dynalist is still cool though and it looks after most of my work and projects these days.

2 Likes

I think this would kind of add the SideBar #roamcult has been praising about. Other the than sidebar dynalist already has all features #roamcult has been shouting about. Please correct me if I’m wrong & have missed any roam’s other features.

Two key features would be backlinks that are automatically included and pages that are automatically created. But this seems part of the development track for Obsidian now that the developers are working on.

2 Likes

Adding my vote for more than a single pane.

1 Like

And mine!

My request is similar, perhaps more detailed.
I think its not that dynaList is deficient, rather my organizing is lacking insight and application of existing resources. In other words, even if the software is “improved” [add more features], if your thinking is sloppy, you still have the same mess.

If, then, your world be such a baffling riddle, it is because you are that baffling riddle. And if your speech be such a woeful maze, it is because you are that woeful maze. Let things alone and labour not to change them. For they seem what they seem only because you seem what you see. They neither see nor speak except you lend them sight and speech. If they be harsh of speech, look only to your tongue. If they be ugly of appearance, search first and last your eye.
Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled. Nor ask of things to break their seals. Unseal your selves, and all will be unsealed.*he key to self-unveiling and self-unsealing is a word, which you forever hold between your lips. Of words it is the slightest and the greatest.

Simple iOS desktop planner

• Make a kanban with different views
    even a list with different views would be fine
  • Example
    • “Jobs card” view contains
      • Client1,
        • Task list: t1
        • Material list for that client: m1
      • Client2,
        • Task list: t2,
        • Material list for that client: m2,
          another view of the same data set would show
      • Materials
        By Clients view
    • “Materials card” view of “jobs card” data
      Material list by client: m1, m2, m3 the material items from “job card” or even other cards ie “personal card”
      • Add attribute if desired ie location
        • Supply house locations s1, s2
        • Inventory
    • “personal” card
      • project card
        Same as a client type card with tasks and materisls
      • Material list
  • All of these can have a time or priority component
    • Timeline
      • Calendar. Integration
      • Project gantt chart
    • Priority filter

I just built this myself on this excellent platform with three screens for kanban, simplified hierarchy by toggle list of inbox, date, archive, #desk, #field, #wk, #client, ancestor search bookmarks.
Awesome. I struggled with that for years!

Last things how to

1. embed an #client list in notion for presentation and storage.
  2. gantt chart tie to clickup or hive for managing multiple complex projects

anyway, dynalist is the best and I will promote it by affiliate link

1 Like

@anon26346057 Have you built an extension for Dynalist or a separate app?

@Philipp: we seem to get quite a few requests for Kanban View. It’s a very different feature request than split screen though (please read our original description).

While Kanban is about transforming a list into a different view like mind map view, split screen is about opening multiple documents or lists side by side.

Would appreciate it if someone could open a dedicated feature request thread for it, so that the discussion can be done over there.

Hi @Erica this is already done:

I just adapted the existing dynalist and saved three screens as a bookmarks
Saved the column config in a browser I never use.
When I open that browser, theres the kanban.
no Can drag from kanban to kanban tho so a real solution would be greatr

Now Workflowy has fractal boards: https://workflowy.com/post/fractal-boards. Once Obsidian is up and running, there’ll need to be some catch-up in Dynalist.

8 Likes

Wow that fractal boards business is actually really interesting.

1 Like

@Erica
“Hopefully we can get to it by end of 2018 or something.”

As we are now well into 2020, I am wondering if there is any news on this.

2 Likes

WOW, the fractal boards look really convenient/useful. @Erica, any chance we might see these in DynaList, sometime on the horizon?

1 Like

Dynalist is keeping me going on good days!
Thanks @Erica.

It’s already 2021, but is there any progress in developing multi-window functionality?
Or has it been rejected?

I’m hoping that multi-window or tabs will be even more useful.

P.S. (2021-04-25)

I read these two topics today
Are Dynalist Pro users paying the development of Obsidian?
No monthly blog update since November. Are the team ok?

I apologize for making such a request for additional features while currently using it as a free user.

I hope Dynalist and Obsidian will be around for a long time.

1 Like

For tabs and multi-window, use your browser rather than the app.

What happened to this? Last updates 4 yrs ago. Ouch.
Such interfaces/displays were a core mission of Dynalist, @Erica what happened?

Is development still even happening?
Has Dynalist been abandoned?

Wow, DL was way ahead of WF years ago, now seems WF has not only caught up, but superseded DL.

Shame, I was an early DL adopter (and WF evacuee) and DL had such promise and plans!

yes, DynaList has frozen development. They are focusing the majority of their effort on Obsidian these days.