Setting up GTD on Dynalist

I don’t think it’s possible to search for no tags, i.e.: the absence of any tag. But it would be nice!!! I have rule to make sure every item is tagged with a project before it moves from the Inbox to another context (Document).

2 Likes

Thanks for the input here. I’ll try to remember to tag things like I did before.

One side issue I noticed this weekend was a little friction in my process now that I’ve separated my lists and created contexts using documents. I miss having them all in one document for easy searches but like the idea of the separation too.

For me, the big win in using Dynalist is the fast, efficient access to my lists. Making that process as “low drag” as possible makes me want to use it all day long. That’s what I’ll use to decide if documents or hash tags will be used for contexts.

Appreciate your input!

1 Like

I’ve been using saved searches for my lists. You can search using date, tags, etc., then bookmark the search and rename the bookmark to something meaningful.

So, I have bookmarks like “Today High Energy” and that kind of thing, which makes it easy to filter down to just what I’m looking for.

It’s just another layer for implementing GTD.

2 Likes

Yep i have same approach, here some saved search Bookmarks

• Inbox special document for BrainDump my thoughts
  • OverDue within: -12m until: -1d -is:completed
  • Today Actions until:today -is:completed
  • Next Week within:1w -has:completed
  • Next Month within:1m -has:completed
  • Action with Dates has:date -is:completed

Cheers
Dimitry

7 Likes

I’ve placed all my projects back into a single document after separating them into individual documents by context. For my experience, I didn’t like the division because of the way I use tags to search for things.

It’s amazing how much more I enjoy Dynalist when using tags.

2 Likes

Hi, I just responded to a similar topic of yours on project setup here which is relevant: How Do You Setup Your Projects in Dynalist?

The only things I would add to that post for your more general question is:

• Obviously I have an inbox
  • I have a calendar in dynalist which also functions as Allen’s tickler file - the days have a series of tags like #tue #d24 #apr #2017 – this is better than a single tag system as you can have a cloud of tags at the top of your calendar with all the days of the week, month, months and years, and can click to filter as you like (this is very powerful) - these also allow you to move items to certain days very easily e.g. by typing #tue into the ‘move’ box all the tuesdays come up - Nested under each day are the hours of the day in bullet form so that events can be nested un the appropriate time (I also give events a due time with dyanlist’s in built feature so they show up on my google calendar)
  • I have an operations centre, which has my current day, a big cloud of tags / links for all my major projects and searches as well as my daily / weekly checklists, and my inbox
  • Each day I move my calendar entry for that day to my operations document - this day of course has my fixed events on it / any tickler things I’ve sent there over time - I then build on this throughout the day (e.g. I roughly plan my tasks first thing) and I also journal on top of it, recording various things that happen
  • At the end of the day I move any unresolved things to appropriate places and send that day to my @Past document
2 Likes

Why don’t you just shorthand it to something like “#W10A #30” for week 10, “A” for 2017 year (“B” for 2018), #30 for the day of the month. You could condense it maybe one letter more, but this is as optimized as dates get

I have originally thought of doing “#tues #d24 #apr #2017” to which I do still, but ONLY in my daily log list. All other tag notes use the other convention. the reason I don’t use this is because I have valuable real estate on my dynalist and looking at date tags everywhere is confusing

I put that in PROJECT TAGS, for the ALT3 code I mentioned earlier in the other phraseexpress post too
Since I don’t know how many shortcuts I will be needing, how many specific filters, etc

do you have a picture of what this looks like or the general document hierarchy before and after the day? just curious

Hi Vincent,

RE the day tags, I am sure your method is more efficient (it’s very interesting actually), but I like to be able to read them easily myself and my brain works on days of the week etc :slight_smile:

RE the project tags, yes there’s many ways this could be set up - I personally like having a single ‘Centre’ which I feel like is my ‘home’ with dynalist - this is just a personal psychological preference

RE the calendar, my calendar looks a bit like this (Any event or day-defining task either gets a dynalist time stamp or an @day tag) - I almost always view my calendar in this search mode you can see - this means I can send unimportant tasks to my days (acting like a tickler file) without this view getting cluttered - this shows only the ‘hard landscape’ of my future, as Allen would put it - this is what allows it to be both calendar and tickler file simultaneously. (Ps. the calendar still has some hangovers from workflowy (e.g. the #blue thing) which I haven’t sorted out yet - I will obviously switch this to a dynalist color search when I get a chance. the @pp-devon tag is a project tag (a visit to Devon) - when I search my whole account for this tag it will bring up the project notes / tasks section for that project as well as those tagged days on my calendar.

Then I bring it over to Operations which looks a bit like this (this is my current day - I have been out and about on my phone today so it is almost completely bare - this whole system is mostly for when working at my computer in the office or at home) - when I do have that kind of day the times of the day would be full of completed pomodoro’s / tasks I’ve done etc.

Once the ‘day’ comes over, I obviously check my tasks by urgency or context and make a (rough) plan for the day - as I move through the day I either follow or modify this as appropriate and ‘complete’ the previous portion - I also sometimes journal throughout the day if interesting things happen or if I want to track e.g. exercise.

And finally it goes to the past which just looks like this (I try to write a brief journal sentence on each day but am not too consistent with this) - This reminds me of a benefit of my tagging structure actually (and unlike the one you suggested) - You can see the tag cloud at the top - this format allows me to really easily and quickly filter for the day I want if I’m searching for something - If I’m trying to remember when something happened and tags fail me, I often maybe have a hunch it was a tuesday, or the 14th of something, or some time in may 
 so I find this helps me find what I want really quickly (which single, integrated tags cannot achieve)

Best wishes,

Stephen

1 Like

Why is there day tags everywhere up top? Are those things you tagged this week? (am not familiar with the built-in date tag)

Also, I don’t have the right personality type to write down times (2-3PM, 3PM-4PM)throughout the day, I would get go crazy looking at so many items too, I’m trying to shy away from too many nested bulletpoint levels. It is a problem I have though, that my notes aren’t capturing exact times, and some things I only capture by weeks only atm (e.g. finished task)s

But if it works for you that’s what counts :slight_smile:

Also, I have taken your suggestion to seperate a personal and work to-do list. It has made my list more customizable so I can focus on work, or personal, whenever I so choose (still all in one list). Subsequently I can add project folders here and whatever I want as an “inbox” sort of “waterfall-ish type of project management approach”

-WORK TO-DO
-WORK SOMEDAY
-PERSONAL TODO
-PERSONAL SOMEDAY
GENERAL INBOX TASKS

this is a semi-downside I have, for the tag cloud thing. It wouldn’t really matter a lot by the day, but by the week it can be a pain.

When I do this

Also, with integrated tags for the daily notes:

âœȘDAY
âœȘâœȘTAG
âœȘâœȘâœȘNOTES

I normally summarize the “âœȘâœȘ TAG : Notes below are this, see imgur.com/xgsdga tag” or the last item I made in the list / summary

When I search through the list ,it isn’t such a big deal either. Also, I find that I rarely ever look through anything specific in my previous notes, just jotting it down makes it easier to remember. So what happens is per week, I read all notes made that week and it doesn’t take too long either. Its also another reason I don’t keep things like thesis’s / fictionbook writing here, it would pollute my notes too much, I seperate it into app.classeur.io, screenshot things I added, and reference back to dynalist.io

Also, there’s one important thing if anything when it comes to notetaking, at least for me. My conventions and format must be 100% portable. I try to shy away from built-in notetaking systems, if I can help it. Its one reason I don’t like things like evernote or onenote, I don’t really have an exportable way to grab images in context to text I write (also, they don’;t support gifs well either). I like having full control of my data. Basically, if I cannot parse the data in anyway, shape or form using pythonscripts or excelVBA, its not really portable.

Same with dynalist.io uploads, its still an immature tech they have for upload management. I can’t just export and move around images and PDFs with ease. I utilize shareX + amazonS3/imgur for this.

Also, suggestion for jobsearching. Wouldn’t googlesheets be easier to handle this approach? Some employers take ages to respond, so I figured having a command-center for just googlespreadsheets would be more beneficial? If you could isolate those notes ahead of time wouldn’t it be a good idea?

I try to use different apps for different reason, dynalist.io is just my thought organizer / project management-ish system

Well, I don’t actually write down times. I have a set of bullets with the hours of the day which I just copy over each day - then as I move through the day I just write my tasks / notes under the correct bullet, like this:

But actually any important notes I would either put in my inbox or send to the appropriate project section - I once quite liked the idea of recording EVERYTHING in one place on my day (bullet journal style) just like you do - the only thing I found is that it required dilligent tagging to make sure nothing got lost / forgotten - one benefit of using lists instead of tags for organising (of course one should use both in combination) is that it forces you to make a choice about where it should go - any time I have relied solely on tags I have always fallen into lazy habits and the whole thing has fallen apart - perhaps someone less lazy than me would be fine :smiley:

The dynalist-time-stamps on the calendar are really only there because dynalist pro offers google calendar sync for time stamped items - when I am out and about on my phone going to appointments etc I look at my google calendar on my phone rather than going through to my dynalist calendar because it’s much faster / easier to work with

Yes that looks like a nice task system - very visual which I like - it’s hard to tell but I slightly wonder how it will hold up if you have e.g. 100+ things to do (which I probably do across all my areas of life) - it sounds like you are a bit better with technology than me (I don’t really code) so perhaps you have slightly different needs - I personally prefer to do as much as I possibly can in Dynalist and am prepared to sacrifice some optimality for that - there are things I won’t do - my files are in dropbox and I just link to them if needed and don’t use dynalist’s upload system at all - however generally I do like to have as much as possible under one roof and crucially, under a single search box so that when I search for my top priority tasks I know I really am seeing all of them - it also allows me to move around my life very quickly and not have to open / close different apps or think where something is

RE writing I have just put up a post linking to a blog article I wrote a while ago about combining workflowy (or dynalist of course) with latex for academic writing which you might find interesting:

The nice thing about dynalist compared to workflowy is you can have a separate folder for your write ups, so it really doesn’t have to ‘contaminate’ your notes at all

2 Likes

Don’t worry I have specifically lazy tags dubbed “@work” and “@personal”. It doesn’t get lazier than that really (although I don’t use @work often, since you know, work is subject to change. Rather a shortname for company I work for)

Also, I don’t treat tags as tags, I treat tags as folders, based on evernote’s best practice tagging conventions (e.g. an item can be placed in two places at the same time, by treating each tag like a “folder”)

I do use this, this is why I never use the “!” operator and reserve it just for this scenario only, else I would pollute my google calendar.

My current list is sitting at 50 items. I am too lazy to do any of it today though (none of those are urgent, most are project based), this is the 3rd week I have been setting up my dynalist.io setup. Tomorrow is just massive sprint day catch up for me. I’m also kind of tired from working out yesterday too

As of now, its actually scaling pretty well. I could see it becoming a problem at 200+ items, but realistically I shouldn’t have more than 100 items anyhow. Do note that I don’t log things in that take 5 minutes usually either, and have seperate workflows for handling things with clients by emails and such. Over half the things I have in my dynalist are things like (Backup XYZ, improve workflow ABC, explore issue DEF)

I try not to do everything in dynalist. Dynalist can only do so much. You can’t do things an excel /google spreadsheet can (e.g. scalable number of column / cell data). You can’t document code well in almost any regular notetaking app, but rather dedicated apps (gistbox) . I think its important to be flexible, in that you can handle manual integrations with different softwares (hence my SOP manual which I finished writing mostly).

Your also pretty limited to things coming in from dynalist, like I can’t RSS new ideas like feedly can or read new stories. Dynalist has some pretty poor workflows to bookmark management, so I have other systems for that too

I don’t mind looking 2 extra places for something I cannot find. Its like finding a remote for your TV. If you don’t find it the first place you look (your couch), place it the first place you look after. Same concept.
The remote is an analogy to your notes, TV is how you drive action, and your couch is dynalist

well true I could create a secondary document as well, I probably should :stuck_out_tongue:

I skimmed parts of your blog, which was a bit hard too read (formatting), but I got the gist of it. I have really never used workflowy for more than 1 hour, and I decided I really did not like it that much compared to dynalist ( I really hate workflowy’s Prezi like zooming functions, they bother me alot).

I don’t really do alot of hardcore mathmatical formulas in latex, and my go-to has always been markdown syntax for general notes. I have dabbled in a bit of Katex and Mathjax syntax though, which are very similar but simplified versions of latex (also I don’t really need formulas I got images anyways)

Why dynalist.io anyways and not workflowy? Just curious, what makes dynalist better in your opinoin (OR worse for that matter)? I’ve not explored it in much detail

I read this and I’m thinking: cool, so that’s how I’ll get my mail filtered and delivered in my dynalist inbox

That’s a very good point. I was frustrated with Evernote because although it’s easy to search for tags, searching for untagged items is not easy at all (there are one or two hacks to do it
 on the Mac only I think). If you are using a GTD type approach and have a weekly review when you want to organise items, being able to easily find untagged ones and tag them is really useful.

If you religiously put everything in an “inbox” list that makes it easy, but if you want to quickly add items into a range of lists/contexts/projects and worry about tagging them later it’s a fiddly process.

1 Like

@Schultzter @Mark_Goodson: try searching for “-# -@” to avoid tags!

1 Like

Awesome!

I guess my need is a bit more complicated since I only tag the top-level items in a list, not the sub-items.

I would need something like is:top -# -@

But thanks for taking the time to respond and help us get the most from Dynalist.

3 Likes

What is your GTD set up in Dynalist? Any tips?

I have my IN, NEXT ACTIONS, WAITING FOR, SOMEDAY all as separate docs. But, looking for tips of what works best for others. How is your’s structured? How do you best maximize Dynalist for GTD?

1 Like

It may be more efficient to have tags for each of GTD status. Then you can use the Agenda function in @Piotr’s PowerPack 2 for an easy reference to your system.

Thanks. So, are you suggesting putting everything into a single doc so it’s searchable via tags?

1 Like

Yes, that seems more efficient.

How are you using Dynalist for GTD? Do you have a single doc for all that + your projects?

Thanks again Kevin!