Set default date/time to current date/time (part of a more flexible date/time system)

When pressing !, the date picker pops up with today’s date selected. This is super useful for adding current date by simply pressing enter. It would be nice however to let it also add the current time to the picker, so it automatically adds the time when you press enter. It would also be useful to have an an option that lets you turn off automatically selecting the time, as well as selecting how accurately the time should be measured. I’ve added some examples below.

Let’s say the date/time is: 10:43, 03-03-2018

Option 1: Date only
Press !, date picker shows up with current date selected, and empty time field.
Press enter, you get !(2018-03-03)

Option 2: Precise time
Press !, date picker shows up with current date selected, and current time selected.
Press enter, you get !(2018-03-03 10:43)

Option 3: 5min sections time
Press !, date picker shows up with current date selected, and current time selected (rounded to the lowest 5mins).
Press enter, you get !(2018-03-03 10:40)

Option 4: 1 hour sections time
Press !, date picker shows up with current date selected, and current time selected (rounded to the lowest hour).
Press enter, you get !(2018-03-03 10:00)

Option 3 and 4 should be configurable in my opinion (e.g. nearest 10 mins, 15 mins, 30 mins, 2 hours, etc.).

I currently do it manually, but would be much easier to use if I could just press ! and enter.

4 Likes

would like. also, with a checkbox to include time or not.

Pretty similar to this request :slight_smile:

We’ll give it some thought! The main goal is to make it work (I definitely see the point of this) without (1) surprising people who are used to the current behavior and don’t mind it and (2) making the date picker look too complicated. I hope that’s understandable!

I agree with Ibrahim that the date picker could be a lot more a) powerful and b) customisable (= user friendly).

My own interpretation of desirable features are:

• set default behaviour to date range instead of date

• options to set default duration to current time + 15, 30, 60, … minutes
    (right now in the default date range, the end date is the same as the start date. - Is it me, or doesn’t that make sense?)

• the idea to ‘section time’, i.e. to ‘snap’ the current time to the closest ‘rounded’ number is GREAT! (i.e. snapping 8:51 to 8:50, 8:45 or 9 depending on your preference: 5 min, 15 min or 60 min sections)

I’m using Dynalist as a dayplanner for now, but I need an visual agenda view as well.
I could sync with Google Calendar, but right now that’s just too much work - there’s too much buttons you have to press if you want to set durations!

Last thoughts:

• if any of this can be programmed with custom CSS, I would be very glad to hear!!!

• @Erica: you mention you don’t want the date picker to look too complicated. Okay. But: people who use Dynalist are not afraid of complicated things.
    If you want simple, you use Workflowy.
    If you want features, you use Dynalist. :slight_smile:

Also a simple way to invoke the advanced feature could be to use a double ! mark.

! = current dialog

!! = advanced menu