Send email to add items to Dynalist

Any hope for a Slack integration in the future (in addition to email)?

Integration with Slack and other services needs a public API, so third parties can create integrations themselves. An API is on the Trello roadmap.

2 Likes

Yep, what @Oli said, exactly. It depends on a public API, and after that, you can even use IFTTT to connect them yourself if you want.

3 Likes

I love Dynalist for so many reasons. The only thing I really miss is this one feature.

Email to Inbox seems like the best of the minimal solutions. But I would prefer one email per document. Length of mail adress is not important. Title as subject and body as note would be my preferred way to handle this.

6 Likes

Thanks for the input, @Kenneth_Aar!

I upvoted this in Trello. I send email to myself while driving or just out with notes that I want to add to Dynalist. I have Dynalist on my phone and generally avoid using that as itā€™s too much hassle. Iā€™m content to wait until I get home or to the office to copy, paste, and edit in the Dynalist desktop app.

Iā€™ve used a number of programs with email to Inbox and would like the same. My preference to add received email would be to use a System Inbox node at the top of the main doc (or one so designated) with each received email as a separate node underneath.

(Added). Ideal would be a braindead simple mobile app companion ā€˜Add Note to Dynalistā€™. Touch that and a text box displays where you can dictate or type notes. Click Send and youā€™re done. The note is added to the Inbox.

3 Likes

I would like an email address associated w/ my Dynalist account so I can talk to my phone and have it send an email there. I think the item should be put into an INBOX list so I can put it where it needs to go and see when Iā€™m done with the inbox. Having more than one email associated with Dynalist would get too complicated for me. If you do that, make it an option not required.

3 Likes

This was one of the top reasons I used to work with Asana project management tool; and itā€™s key for easy capture of any action items.
The ability to send emails to different documents is significant, since it allows me to auto-process things from the email forwarding standpoint.
Also, itā€™s more efficient and GTD-friendly; because I only need to ā€˜processā€™ the item once, when deciding what document it fits; if can only forward it to the inbox, for example, I need to process it once in my email and another time in my Dynalist inbox; more busywork!)
For the same reason, it does make sense to allow email-forwarding to specific items (as many people keep all projects as items in one document).

Either way, this is a great feature for seamless integration of the various inboxes of our digital life :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for email to individual node. E.g with +id@ addressing

For me this would enable us to in effect have unlimited inboxes to email notes to. My preference would be that the subject could be a subnode and the body could be a comment as mentioned above.

A contact could then be created for particular endpoints e.g ā€˜Cookingā€™ with its respective email address to give a contrived example.

One way I am using an email to inbox feature is to get tasks from my amazon echo to my Omnifocus inbox. It a cheap way to integrate third party apis when none other are yet available. Another is to enable users to setup auto forward rules to particular notes from certain centres or containing certain keywords.

Thanks for great product :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

Yes. I agree. In more detail I suggest :slightly_smiling_face:

To: alan@dynalist.io. (My account name.)
Subject: node title. (option to @doc location?)
Content : markdown paragraphs to add under title. (Can be blank) (Can have outline formatting)

Makes a new note under the configured inbox. Or the named document if named.

It might need be something else, since we donā€™t force account names to be unique. Since you save the address in contacts and itā€™s given an appropriate name, not being friend to type out is not much an issue. At least from what I remember, the email addresses of all the other services Iā€™ve seen are not easy to hard, e.g. "name+dsw93sl2d5@example.com".

A secondary reason might be to avoid being spammed. We often receive emails that are sent to random addresses @dynalist.io, like marketing@dynalist.io and mike@dynalist.io, you might see trash end up in your inbox. Unless we set up a rule where you can only capture via certain email addresses (i.e. only sending from alan@gmail.com to alan@dyanlist.io would count), itā€™s hard to avoid this situation, unless we make the email address hard to guess.

You could assume the account if the email address is the same as a registered email address. I donā€™t know if everybody here is okay with that.

Any progress here, anytime soon? It is the third most viewed entry under features.

@Kenneth_Aar: working on API at the moment, this is definitely a very popular request, hopefully weā€™ll get to it soon!

3 Likes

I recently purchased pro, and I thought this feature was already there. Wrong assumption :slight_smile:

I would really like to see that here, for me emailing to one document is sufficient, but thatā€™s just me.

You might as well enable emailing to each document. For me the email address doesnā€™t have to be friendly, in fact, it should probably have a small ā€œrandomā€ part in order to prevent people that know your username from adding random stuff to your Dynalist. Indeed, email clients anyway allow the user to give a name to the email address.

Each email that comes in, should be one bullet - with the subject, and then all the content of the email should fall under that subject, as subbullets. (so not a note). For me that would be the most helpful, because then I can expand on the relevant parts of teh email, and delete the parts that arenā€™t relevant there.

And yes, a nice to have is if attachments can somehow be handled as well (i.e. automatically stored in dropbox or google drive and linked). But that is just nice-to-have and could come later IMO.

It works now yā€™all.

Get your API key and replace {TOKEN} below. In IFTTT set THAT to Webhooks and fill out like so:

Jul-22-2018%2010-10-05

You can switch the THIS of the if THIS then THAT to Alexa, Google Home, whatever you want. The API is super cool go wild!

6 Likes

Yes, definitely. Weā€™re just thinking that in addition to the random part, there should be a human friendly part, so you can quickly identify which email address is for which document without leaving your email client.

Can I just check that you donā€™t need curly brackets for your API key when you replace {TOKEN} - just quotation marks.

1 Like

correct

2 Likes

This is awesone!

But I canā€™t get the note field to work. According to the API documentation it should work if I write it like this:

{"token":"SECRETTOKEN","content":"{{Subject}}","note":"{{Body}}"}

But only the subject works flawlessly:

{"token":"SECRETTOKEN","content":"{{Subject}}"}