Selection acts strangely

Steps to reproduce

  1. Unable to select item, need to click on the item and click esc to make the selection work.

  2. When I select an item, I drag the mouse without pressing the button, and it acts as if I am pressing the button (highlighting items by moving the mouse).

Expected result

The selection behaves normally.

Actual result

See steps to reproduce section.

Environment

Which operating system are you using?
Windows 10

Which browser are you using?
Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer

If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
Chrome desktop version 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (64-bit), didn’t check other browsers.

Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
Negative.


Additional information

It started this week, and only on my work computer, and I tried clearing the browsing data and restarting the computer, but it didn’t fix the problem. I don’t have this problem with any other site.


Additional comments

Hmmm I don’t think there was anything changed this week about that. We only deployed a new release just a few hours ago but the timeline doesn’t fit.

You’re using the web app on Chrome right? Does it happen on Edge too?

What else… Maybe check your chrome extensions and see if any of them might have gotten an update and started interfering with something?

Try using dynalist in an incognito window. If the problem goes away there, it means an extension is probably to blame.

Since it affects Chrome, Edge, and IE, I am wondering if you turned on a Windows setting for the physically disabled who have trouble with holding a button and dragging at the same time.

My work computer doesn’t allow extensions or incognito mode, and the physically disabled don’t turn on either. I’m really not sure why this happened, because it didn’t happen any other sites that I visited.

I think I find out what went wrong. My company implemented a security feature and now, according to Chrome, there are two “subframe: https://menlosecurity.com/” under Dynalist. But like I said before, I didn’t encounter this problem with any other site.

Huh that’s weird. I guess that must have injected some third party code that interfered with something inside Dynalist. I’d suspect it was installed as a Chrome extension. See if you can find that and temporarily disable it and test if that’s the cause.

It was using “Use automatic configuration script” under LAN settings. Right now I can went back using proxy server, but not sure how long they will allow that.

Got it, thanks for the update!