Select-Extend does not scroll

Steps to reproduce

In a context with a lot of lines, many offscreen below, hold press shift-down to select multiple items. Keep going until everything displayed is selected and more.

Expected result

I expect the screen to scroll to the end of the newly selected item.
Likewise if I press shift-up, I wish the screen to scroll to the newest selected item, or if reducing selection, to whatever item is the focus for choosing the next up/down selection action.

Actual result

It doesnā€™t scroll, making it impossible to accurately select what I want selected because I canā€™t see.

Environment

Using Chrome on Windows.

Additional Comments

There are a few other commands (e.g. zoom out) that do not correct the scroll position, such that I do not see the current location of the cursor. These are less critical, but would be nice to also have fixed.

Thanks for catching this!

We have tracked this bug on our todo list, and will fix it as soon as we can! Thanks again for letting us know. Iā€™ll update here when itā€™s fixed :slight_smile:

Also, there should be a UI cue as to which item of the selection is the current one. Compare how a file explorer works for selecting.

What do you mean? One item (the originally selected item) should look different?

I tried selecting a bunch of files with Shift+Down in Windows Explorer and canā€™t tell which one is the ā€œcurrentā€ one.

It is subtler than it should be, but one of them has a dashed border drawn around it. In the case of Dynalist I would recommend a slightly darker shade of blue. Itā€™s not a critical detail, but a subtle usability improvement.

Ok, I see it when I looked closer. I still donā€™t think I understand the purpose of that, though. If youā€™re selecting items 1, 2, and 3, they are all ā€œcurrent itemsā€. If you do Shift+Up, selection will expand to the item above item 1; if you do Shift+Down, selection will expand to the item below item 3. I mean is there a use case where knowing the selected started with item 1 helps?

hm, your right: Your selection mechanism is non-standard. The standard is: you start with the cursor at one spot, the ā€œmarkā€, and then holding shift you move the cursor up to select upwards, continue up to extend up, and change to down to decrease the selection region (because you went too far). Or you start going down, increase but going further down, and decrease by coming back up.

The way Dynalist does it is something else, and the highlight mechanism doesnā€™t make as much sense.

(iOS has another system entirely with its two handles you can independently drag.)

Thanks for point out the subtle differences. I have admit that we never thought of that when implementing this part in the first place.

@Alan: This should be fixed in the latest versions (please refresh/reload the app to update), could you please confirm when you have time? Thanks in advance!

Seems pretty good in all aspects.

1 Like