Search operator to filter numbered list by item number

I use Dynalist for GTD. Any tasks that can be done in one single action go under a “NEXT ACTIONS” list. For anything that requires multiple sequential actions I have a “PROJECTS” list organised like this:

PROJECTS

• Project A
    1. Item 1
    2. Item 2
    3. Item 3
  • Project B
    1. Item 1
    2. Item 2
    3. Item 3
  • Project C
    1. Item 1
    2. Item 2
    3. Item 3

It would be really useful to be able to do a search under my projects that would only return the first item of every list. That way I could easily identify what’s the next task that needs to be done for every project I have.

I’ve noticed that, when the option to hide checked items is enabled, if item 1 in a list is checked off then item #2 becomes #1, which is great. So it would be good if the search operator takes that into account so that you can keep using the same search operator to filter only the first unchecked items.

So a search operator for returning only first items could be something like “listnum:1”, and return this (in the case of my PROJECTS list example):

PROJECTS

• Project A
    1. Item 1
  • Project B
    1. Item 1
  • Project C
    1. Item 1

As a bonus, maybe there could also be more advanced ways of using the operator like “listnum:1-3” for enabling searching for item number ranges. Or “listnum:1,3,6” for returning specific item numbers (though I don’t feel so strongly about the need for this last option).

2 Likes