Paste from evernote into desktop app includes xml

Steps to reproduce

copy text from an evernote page (from the macos evernote app). the text looks completely plain, no noticeable formatting

paste into dynalist

Expected result

• text from evernote

Actual result

I see this, with an xml prefix:

• ?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?text from evernote

Environment

macOS 10.12.6
chrome 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)
I only noticed this when switching to desktop app today, using 1.0.40

Additional information

Additional comments

Try pasting into a plain text editor like Notepad or Sublime Text first. This doesn’t sound like Dynalist’s issue, as it’s unlikely that we just prepend an XML prefix to any plain text pasted into Dynalist.

Other Evernote users seem to have the same issue with the mac Evernote app too: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/84239-copy-and-paste-brings-xml-tag/

Thank you! I have submitted an evernote support ticket and will post back here if I get resolution.

Thanks!

If it does end up being our issue, we’ll definitely fix it. Please keep us updated with this thread!

From Evernote this morning 9/20/17:

The copy/paste option in the latest stable Mac version is reported to have issues. The good news though that it’s fixed in the upcoming release which is currently in beta.

Cool. Hopefully it’s gonna be fixed after the next Evernote update :slight_smile:

Closing this since it’s not a Dynalist bug, but I’m curious if this is resolved now?

Update: June 2018. Still unresolved. Running latest versions of both Dynalist and Evernote for Mac.

Hi, previous discussion seemed to imply it’s an Evernote issue. I checked the link I linked to, it wasn’t resolved as of Feb 2018.

So are you asking us to fix it? Or do you have new information that suggests it’s a Dynalist bug instead?

Hi Erica, I was only responding to your question for the OP. Since there wasn’t a follow-up I thought I’d follow up myself.

It’d be great if it could be resolved on Dynalist’s end despite it being an Evernote issue, but I certainly wouldn’t place it on a high priority. Evernote is the one that should fix it.
I’m no developer, but perhaps detecting the phrase “?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?” and automatically removing it during paste could be an Advanced Setting toggle switch. :woman_shrugging:

Again this is really an Evernote problem not Dynalist’s. I’m just sharing the fact that it’s still unresolved on their end.

Yeah maybe that’s the solution. Otherwise this piece of xml is fairly common, I don’t want others to copy something that contains this and be like “wtf why did the text change when I pasted it”.

Also are you using the Evernote macOS app too? I want to see if we can repro the issue with the WIndows Evernote app.

I have this same issue. Pasting from Evernote has a prefix of:

?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?

However pasting anywhere else (Text Edit, Sublime Text, Chrome, etc) does not…

1 Like