One Specific Search Makes Dynalist Freeze

Steps to reproduce

This might be hard to reproduce on other accounts than my own, but the steps that reproduce it in my Dynalist account is to bring up either the Move Item pane or the Open Item Finder pane and then type “at first.”

Expected result

I would expect the pane to display search results matching what I typed.

Actual result

Dynalist completely freezes and doesn’t recover until Chrome prompts me to kill the page and reload it.

Environment

Operating system: Windows 10.
Which browser: Google Chrome (Version 80.0.3987.163)
No third-party scripts for Dynalist


Additional comments

Perhaps the freeze is a result of my Dynalist document getting pretty large. But the error only occurs when I type “at first,” not when I type other search entries, and even if my document is on the bigger side, I think Dynalist should not freeze up when doing a simple search. Thanks for any help you can offer!

I am finding attempts to type destination into the Move dialogue either freezing or very slow.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s related to the recent search algorithm adjustment. I’ll investigate the lag issue in more detail.

3 Likes

I’ve made some tweaks to the algorithm itself as well as added some sensible timeouts so searches are not performed on every single keypress (which was freezing the search for longer and longer). It’s made it at least usable for my enormous testing environment, but it’s still a little slow just because I have a few documents with 10k+ items.

Will be deployed in a few days!

2 Likes

I’ve also found searches in Item Finder or Move Item to be unusually slow during the last week or so, with some searches being worse than others, and having had to reload Dynalist or even restart Chrome on a number of occasions.

1 Like

Just FYI, I am still experiencing freezing issues after your tweaks when using Move Item or Open Item Finder. It happens when I type longer searches (three words or more). Every new character typed seems to put a new load on Dynalist and eventually it gets to be too much and freezes.

I’m seeing this behavior as well.

I, too, am having freezes and long loading times for searches in the wiki-link context, when using the webapp.

When I use the desktop app, everything works as normal.

Should I open a new topic?

That’s weird - I’m fairly confident the new change has been pushed out to the webapp already.

Every new character typed seems to put a new load on Dynalist and eventually it gets to be too much and freezes.

That’s the exact situation that my change should have avoided: the search is only performed after you stop typing, and adding more characters shouldn’t “queue up” more computation if it’s already busy.

I, too, am having freezes and long loading times for searches in the wiki-link context, when using the webapp .

That’s because the desktop app hasn’t receive the new weighting algorithm yet. I will take another pass at it to try and optimize the algorithm and hopefully squeeze some better performance out of it.

I’ve been trying to make the algorithm more performant but I now realize that it actually blows up a lot faster the more characters you have in your search term. I have a new idea to rewrite the algorithm again, which would be guarantee linear scaling which would fix the performance issue entirely.

2 Likes

Should be fixed now.

1 Like

Seems to be working fine for me. If it acts up will post here.

Thanx for the quick fix!

Seems to be working much better today. Thanks!

1 Like