New list item won’t auto capitalize In iOS

Steps to reproduce

Create a new list item

Expected result

First letter of new list item would be capitalized.

Actual result

First letter of new list item is lower case

Environment

Which operating system are you using?
IOS iPhone 11 Pro Max
Which browser are you using?
Safari
If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
No

Additional information

The workaround is to delete that first lowercase letter and re-type it. It then auto-capitalizes the first letter.

1 Like

Acknowledged, there’s currently an issue with the new auto-capitalization on iOS 13 which has been discussed in another thread. Will need to figure out what iOS is doing because there are some ways of navigating the cursor that makes it auto-cap and some ways that don’t…

1 Like

Thank you. What is the other thread? I will look forward to a resolution.

There’s currently no resolution yet, will be investigating more why iOS is doing that.

Here’s the thread: iOS Toolbar Bug on Startup

Any updates on a fix? Thanks.

Unfortunately I still haven’t gotten it working yet, sorry!

After a lot of extensive testing and debugging I have come to the conclusion that it’s a bug with iOS’s auto-capitalization implementation on the soft keyboard. Specifically, it does not like the app manipulating the location of the cursor programmatically (this happens when you press “return” when we create a new item and put your cursor there).

Unfortunately I’ve tried a dozen of ways to try and make iOS’s keyboard update itself and recognize the new cursor position so it can perform the auto-capitalization detection again, none of which worked. That means the only thing I can do is to leave it as an iOS bug and hope Apple fixes it in a future iOS patch.

If anyone has an idea how to force iOS’s keyboard to re-check auto-capitalization status after programmatically moving the cursor, please let me know.

Thanks for keeping me updated.
How about this Idea from a non-technical guy:
Until the iOS problem is solved, construct a macro that is activated when you add a new item. It would type a space, then backspace. This would set the line up for automatic capitalization.

I tried doing that too. It doesn’t seem to work as long as the user doesn’t press those buttons from the soft-keyboard him/herself for the keyboard to update.

I’ve also tried a variety of other things like de-focusing the item and re-focusing, putting the focus temporarily on another textbox, selecting all and resetting selection to where it’s supposed to be, etc.

Gah I just subscribed to Pro and find out this is very disturbing one. Just saying.

It’s been super annoying for me too. If anyone has any idea why it’s happening or how to fix it please shoot me a pm!

I just wanted to chime in here saying I find this a major pain point too.

I saw something similar on Evernote on iOS a year or so ago, where bulleted lists always started with lower case letters. It took them ages to fix it, but they did fix it in the end. Not sure if it was the same cause, though.

Have you submitted a bug report to Apple?

I haven’t seen this bug in any other apps so I’m doubting that it’s an iOS issue.

It seems to be a combination of something we’re doing with respect to how the selection (of the cursor) is set, and something in iOS that’s bugging out.

I’ve tried various things with regular text boxes which doesn’t seem to exhibit this issue on iOS, but the moment we apply our edit boxes it becomes lowercase on focus??? This also doesn’t happen on Android with any of their keyboards, so my past experience it’s most likely Apple Safari’s quirk.

After many hours of investigation, I have finally found the issue to be running event.preventDefault on the Enter key event. Apple somehow took this as a signal to disable auto capitalization, even when the cursor location changes to a new empty element.

I have installed a hack/workaround which focuses the cursor to a hidden textbox to receive the newline generated by the Enter key instead of preventing the default action; this seems to have fixed the issue for me on Safari iOS.

Which means this will be fixed in an upcoming release!

That is great news. I look forward to the upcoming release where it is fixed!