Moving and OPML export doesn't include all notes

Steps to reproduce

1. Try to copy/paste within dynalist or export as OPML a bullet point with lots of layers of nested sub-bullet

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

• Bullet point with all contents is copy/pasted or exported

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

• Bullet points are omitted

Environment

Which operating system are you using? MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Which browser are you using? Firefox (using native MacOS Dynalist app too)
If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist?
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
No

1 Like

Any chance you have the ā€œExport visible items onlyā€ option selected?

Export visible items only is not selected :slight_smile:

I have a set of bullets with nested data which reliably reproduce the following behaviour:

• copy/paste within Dynalist: paste fails
  • If exporting as OPML: nested items are truncated

It happens with several items that have in common that they contain a lot of nested data.
(I suppose it could be related to size, or to some characters that are more likely to occur due to size.)

I would be happy to share the above data privately as a reproducible example.

Interesting. Would be nice yeah if you can share this parivately, or authorize us to login to your account.

One thing Iā€™m curious is if thereā€™s any errors in the developer console when you paste it back (or just copying it out).

Have sent you a PM

For anyone else running into the same issue, this was caused by an invalid character (0x00) somehow existing in an item, which causes the exported/copied OPML (which is based on XML) to be invalid XML.

Iā€™ve made a patch where invalid character will be stripped in an upcoming version, which will resolve this issue. Thanks for allowing me access the document for debugging!

2 Likes

Glad you were able to find. & fix it!

1 Like