Make green and blue colors easier to distinguish

I have tested this in two screens and against a couple of people, and the verdict was that blue and green color labels are too hard to tell apart. I am in fact not using blue because of this.

I guess making the green more yellow and maybe the blue a bit more red would fix this, since I feel that the have plenty of “space” in the color map before they start to look like any other color.

1 Like

Interesting. I can tell them apart easily, but that could be either because of my eyes or my screen (more likely because of my screen).

Here’s a screenshot:

Anyone else having trouble distinguishing these two?

Update: The main cause is I have a “text” color preset on my Dell screens (1 home, 1 office, different models), and the laptop screen is crap anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

This made an otherwise unnoticeable setting that probably filters a bit of blue colors to make blue label almost indistinguishable. Can’t state how often used this option is. Also, apps that filter blue light are fairly popular among power users.

Still, I fill the blue pop out from green significantly less than the rest, e.g.:

I feel that’s just the way it is. Orange is of course more different from green than blue since it’s farther away from green on the color wheel.

I’m not sure what’s the action step is. Maybe changing the hue of the blue color while keeping its saturation? The thing is I don’t have this problem myself, so I can’t verify if it’s good enough for you.

Again, anyone else having this issue? @Leonardo_Muzkiz_Ramo? (I see that you liked the original post)

blue and green confuse with each other depending on the inclination of the laptop monitor :neutral_face::fearful:

sometimes blue appears green in some inclinations and green appears blue in others…
so its fine…but definetly the hue they contain are very similar (and I aint daltonic or anything, and this doesnt happen with other colors or others situations)

for example. guess which is the green :sweat_smile:

I appreciate the aesthetics you aim for with this palette.

Have a look at my quick experimentation on Green. I made it a lot more yellow and a bit brighter as well.

I also find the bit yellower green “happier”, which is great since I annotate my done tasks green during the day (apart from ticking them :stuck_out_tongue:).

the css is:

div.Node-contentContainer.has-color.mod-color-label-4 {
background-color: hsl(106, 38%, 82%);
}

1 Like

I don’t have any current problems with the green and blue color schemas

I personally prefer all the default colors to be as dull-looking as possible honestly (which they are, so its good), so its less distracting

you could always edit your css as well, which you’ve done too

Also, yes flux would make those colors a bit harder to see, so will different monitors as well. I personally use Dell U2415H monitors / IPS so its not an issue for me. For cheaper monitors / laptops I could see this being a problem though

1 Like

yes, maybe if I get a 2017 $2000+ laptop I wouldnt have this problem…
but still isnt so old nor cheapy haha…its an average pc

Wow, I have almost the same screen. Try it on color presets -> text and you ll see.

We can have an equally dump green that just is easier to tell apart from blue. I maybe made it more vivid, but the main change is I made the green less blueish, and more yellowish. Anyways, it is a matter of taste i guess.

1 Like

how can I have your shade of green ?? I loved it.
its almost identical for the bare eye compared to the old green , but it doesnt get confused with the blue one

@Vasileios_Lampridis posted the color code, so you can just use Stylish to apply to your Dynalist.

I’ll play around with it and if it’s indeed better (at at least as good), we can officially change it.

If you, like me, don’t need to have all item highlighted, you can do something like that: https://userstyles.org/styles/142560/dark-colorful-dynalist
Look at the bottom of the screenshot. Colors are much more intensive and distinguishable, but it’s still not annoying because it’s only small rectangle. I made it for myself and I’m using there different fonts etc, but you can copy only fragment with colors from css and it should work even for default theme.

2 Likes

this isn’t my dell U2415 monitor right now, but two different IPS monitors (an older version of dell U2415, and an AOC monitor)

I had some custom CSS schemes on my color already, maybe this is why I have never noticed it being an issue for me?

Or maybe your color schemas are really different and your eyes can’t distinguish the difference as well?

Its like that one post,

Maybe, from the looks of it, the colors are definitely altered here.

“but you can copy only fragment with colors from css and it should work even for default theme.”

lol this sounds complicated. I want to, but how can I do it?

Have you ever used Stylish before? It’s extension for Vivaldi/Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Opera. Google for it and install in your browser, and then tell me if you want my version with rectangles on the left or normal with different colors :slight_smile:

I installed your version. its good although I always get tired of black themes over time…
how can I get your square color tags into white theme?

Go to the page in your browser where you can manage your extensions, open Stylish so you can see my style on the list of installed themes, and then click ‘edit’. You should see editor with lots of weird stuff - delete all code and paste only this: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/panpiotrs/74012af65030fc050ac58746f68f5b1f/raw/76bc8ea9678355ae99643f9f3fa12c2aa687c596/dynacolors.css

I think it looks ok, but if you want to change colors for your own then look at the comments with english names at the bottom - on their left there are color codes e.g. #b70f0f for red. You can change this code to other value, which you can take from http://html-color-codes.info/
Whenever you change something you need to save it. And remember to not update this style (in chrome I have option to “check for updates” and then “install update”), because it will be overwritten with original, dark version. You will be safe forever if create your own theme (in Stylish, you don’t need to use userstyles.org) with all options from my theme :slight_smile:

EDIT: you can also modify “width: 6px;” in this code (ctrl+f to find this) to make rectangle wider or narrower, whatever looks better.

3 Likes

@Erica , what do you think about a section in “Dynalist Pro” settings with simple, basic textarea in which we could paste our styles so these can be injected into page in all apps (web, desktop and mobile)? In web version it is easy, in desktop (mac) I’m using Developer Tools to inject it with PE macro, but in mobile it cannot be done in any way AFAIK.

1 Like