Linux client destroys data

Steps to reproduce

I donā€™t know any way to reproduce this bug.

Expected result

When entering and saving lists, I expect:

• software to close correctly after save
  • restart then display all lists
  • all lists to be synced with the web based version

Actual result

• couldnā€™t close the client windows, had to kill it. All other features worked fine, and I have been working on it for half the afternoon.
  • 90% of the lists disapeared, wasting 3 hours of work. 2 files misteriously are here and up to date. This is despite the fact that I saved regularly, and that the client sync indicator displayed the sync animation, then stated ā€œsavedā€ every time.
  • web based version has none of the files I have locally

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Ubuntu 16.04
Which browser are you using? Epiphany
If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist? Desktop client version is 1.2.2.
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack? No. I discovered your software today, and I just freshly installed it.

Additional information

Log files in /home/user/.config/Dynalist/dynalist donā€™t reveal any error.

Directory /home/user/.config/Dynalist/dynalist/data/Mhc_IAh2e2LgS9QNQ9Ubq4-W seems to contains some JSON data of the lists I created, even things from the ones I lost. So the data may still be here, but only partially displayed, and not synced. I have no way to be sure or to know why.

Additional comments

I wish to help you to solve this bug, but Iā€™d appreciate if you could give me a procedure to attempt recovering the data from the JSON files in /home/user/.config/Dynalist/dynalist/data/Mhc_IAh2e2LgS9QNQ9Ubq4-W. Even if I have to write a JS/python script to do so. I really donā€™t want to type all that again.

When you open the desktop app again, it doesnā€™t have anything you worked on today, correct?
Also - when you restart the desktop app, does it show a different version or does it still show 1.2.2?

Lastly about your data: we can speak about recovering it where if youā€™re comfortable sending us the data folder via email (support@dynalist.io) we can try to convert it to something usable.

1 Like

When I open the desktop data again, it shows 3 of the files I created, up to date, containing the latest content I entered. All other file donā€™t appear.

Restarting the app still show 1.2.2 yes.

Ok, Iā€™ll send you the data folder by email. Thank you.

1 Like

Your colleague managed to get most of my data back. Thanks a lot. WIth such a good service, Iā€™m very confident in taking a the pro plan.

Too bad I canā€™t help you find out what happened. Unless you want more information, you can close this ticket.

Really sorry about that. Hopefully it wonā€™t happen again. If it does, let us know and weā€™ll conduct a deeper investigation.

Thanks!