iOS Toolbar Bug on Startup

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

Load Dynalist from the app

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?
Last opened note with toolbar across the top

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?
Last opened note. NO toolbar.
Toolbar appears when rotating to landscape mode. When rotating back to landscape mode, toolbar is now visible

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist?
iPhone XR : iOS 13.1
Dynalist 1.3.4

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

I am having problem with IOS 13.1. After a bit I lose ability to edit. Clicking on the text to edit has no result.

I have the same issue in iOS 13.1. I lose the ability to enter and edit any line of text. Refreshing fixes it temporarily. This was also the case in 13.0. Iā€™m using an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Another quirky, related behavior: sometimes at this point anything I tap turns blue as if I have filled it with the blue color. It seems to behave like a shift-click on a PC, selecting the whole range of items between two taps. But upon refresh, none of them stay blue.

iOS 13 has different gestures for selecting text, and utilizes ā€œhaptic touchā€ instead of 3D touch. (Long presses rather than harder presses.) I suspect this is the issue.

Going to upgrade our test device to iOS 13 to test ā€“ thanks for the bug report guys!

Canā€™t seem to repro these issues on iOS 13.1.2, which was released 5 days ago.

Is that the case for you guys too?

@Wayne_Smith @Lee_Wimberly:

After a bunch of investigation, we finally found out why. It looks like a bug introduced by iOS 13ā€™s new keyboard behavior. As you can probably notice, when youā€™re on an empty line, the soft Shift key is automatically held down for you, presumably so that you can type capital letters more easily. However, when Shift is held down, Backspace no longer works properly in Dynalist, and the Shift key is stuck. This in turn caused the inability to edit and also the multi-select issue.

Weā€™re actively fixing it and the fix should be out in the next release.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. It is a pity to lose the automatic shift selection to capitalize first letter on new line after return. Now there is the inconvenience of hitting shift for every new line which goes against all other apps on IOS. Anyway to keep the shift and not have the bug?

That seems to be an iOS bug where it doesnā€™t recognize moving to a new line. We think itā€™s an iOS issue because if you delete everything on a line, the auto shift works. But not when you first entered the new line.

We donā€™t know what Apple did that caused this, but weā€™ll see what we can do.

Hi Erica

Just a reminder that it would be great to find a way to get the auto shift on enter back in the IOS app, as it is quite frustrating that Dynalist breaks the standard behavior that all other apps exhibit. There must be a better way to solve the anomaly that gave rise to the disabling of it?

Completely understand itā€™s super annoying! Iā€™ll see what I can do.

Just a quick update - Iā€™ve spent a couple of hours on this already and so far it seems like some kind of bug with iOS/Safariā€™s engine treating our textbox differently, and unrelated to our fix for auto-capitalization related issues. Specifically our fixes for unable to edit items or select text are both caused by the OS telling us that youā€™re holding down the Shift key, which causes Dynalist to use the Shift+Click/Shift+Enter variations instead of Click/Enter.

Iā€™ll do some more investigation along with more mobile fixes in this month but I donā€™t have anything helpful right now, sorry about that.

Iā€™m eagerly looking forward to a fix.

1 Like

@dw00600: sorry for reviving this post. Are you still experiencing the top bar missing issue like in the screenshots?