Have the`move` dialog support search operators

When moving a item between lists, it would be nice if we could use the search operators. I believe fuzzy complete is already implemented, this would allow more targeted item moves.

A search operator > could mean ā€œchild ofā€, so itā€™ll limit the scope of your query to items only nested under anything before >.

Ex:
Imagine that thereā€™s a document with

• songs
    • Discovery Song:
      • I love
        • the mountains
        • the clear blue skies
        • big bridges
        • when great white fly
          • itā€™s a shark
        • the whole world
          • and all itā€™s sights and sounds

Some actions you can do are:

• - Boom-de-yah-da, boom-de-yah-da
    ctrl+shift+m to open the move dialog
    query(Discovery >) moves this under songs > Discovery Song
    results in: songs > Discovery Song > Boom-de-yah-da, boom-de-yah-da

• - Millau Viaduct Bridge
    ctrl+shift+m to open the move dialog
    query(song > bridge) moves this under I love > big bridges
    results in: songs > Discovery Song > big bridges > Millau Viaduct Bridge

3 Likes

Yea we already have search with search operators of course, so just bringing those to the move operation would be nice

Thereā€™s kind of 2 feature requests in 1.

• move dialog supports search operators
  • add a new search operator > to represent child of like in css.

The 2nd one is pretty useful, otherwise I think you can accomplish the same query with parent and ancestor

I think we have what you want in the parent: search operator ā€¦ which you then go on to say, so now Iā€™m confused :smiley:

The parent: operator is nice, but kinda long to type, and it requires you to go back to edit it.

Ex:

If I wanted to add search for or add something to Boom-de-yah-da, boom-de-yah-da

I currently have to do:

parent:songs parent:"Discovery Song"  Boom

However it would be much nicer to type

songs > Discovery Song > Boom
1 Like

Ah ok, I donā€™t have much of an opinion about that, however I should note that I think your search would need to be:

ancestor:songs parent:ā€œDiscovery songā€ Boom

(Ancestor searches any level above, ā€˜parentā€™ only searches one level up)

As a separate note, the ancestor:songs seems redundant here - if you know ā€œDiscovery songā€ is the parent, you donā€™t need the first part of the search - unless you have ā€œDiscovery songā€ somewhere else too? I suppose Iā€™m trying to imagine when you would want to do such complex ancester / parent searches, necessitating a much quicker search syntaxā€¦

I mostly use dynalist for task management so one example that comes to mind for me is:
Ancestor: ā€˜Some project nameā€™ parent:ā€˜tasksā€™ ā€˜task nameā€™

As I might well have the ā€˜tasksā€™ node in multiple projects (I donā€™t organise my projects like this, but I could!)

Another problem with your search syntax is of course you couldnā€™t use ā€˜>ā€™ in the title of your nodes anymore - maybe a workaround using a text expander to spit out ā€˜parent:ā€™ when you type > would be the best way forward?