[Feature Request] Drag and Drop Nodes on Documents

You can drag and drop nodes into the document list to spawn off new documents. It would also be nice if we could move whole sub trees inbetween documents that way by dragging/dropping them on another document.

You already can drag and drop a node to make a new document.

Do you mean drag a node onto a document such that the node is sent to that document? If so I agree this would be a nice feature, although I doubt I would use it much - I rarely have the file pane open, so I would prefer to just use the move dialogue.

This feature might interfere with that currently existing ā€˜drag to make a new documentā€™ feature though, and could lead to accidents.

Do you mean drag a node onto a document such that the node is sent to that document? If so I agree this would be a nice feature, although I doubt I would use it much

Yeah, this is what I mean! :grinning:

I think while it may be convenient, weā€™ll need to make sure that supporting both ā€œdrag to create new documentā€ and ā€œdrag to move inside another documentā€ donā€™t easily lead to unintended operations. Weā€™ll think over this one some more.

I imagine as a current workaround you could use the ā€œMove Toā€ option (default Ctrl-Shift-M) and type in the destination document name.

Seems to be the same feature request as this one: Drag Move Item to Existing File

Bumped priority, hopefully weā€™ll get to it soon.

If I am understanding this correctly, this was already implemented?

But 2nd here is a suggestion:

Every time a document or list is dropped to the file pane / file tree have an dedicated modal popup with suggestions:

A title saying ā€œWhere would you like to move this list or document?ā€

A list of options like:

1. "Move To ā€œName of folder/document was dropped onā€

2. Move to bottom of list

3. Move to Top of list

4. Move To Folder -> Shows List of Folder To Select or Search From

5. Search List to Move To -> Allow Typing Name of List.

Wish I was fast designer so I can show how I have it envisioned.