Drag Move Item to Existing File

I see, thanks for the update!

Itā€™s not intended, but itā€™s not exactly planned either. Not high priority but weā€™ll keep them on the back burner for now.

Of course suggesting any implementation ideas is more than welcome! I like the idea itself and think itā€™s useful :slight_smile:

For suggestions like this is the workflow to add to Trello myself and see if others chime in?
Or here?

Here for now. Trello is only for voting right now, and itā€™s kinda crowded (still hard to find things with 3 columns of feature requests).

Iā€™m a bit horrified that I canā€™t use a modifier key to move a bullet from my inbox to another document. Iā€™m on a Macbook Pro.

Iā€™ve read this whole thread and still have no solution. As someone earlier mentioned, if I select multiple items I can drag them into another document - but I often donā€™t have multiple things I want to drag.

Sigh.

Any modifier key Iā€™m missing? Iā€™ve tried Command, Option, Control, Function, and Shift. None of these work.

Thanks.

Iā€™m not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there is a shortcut (Settings / Keymap / Navigating & moving section / Move item) that you have to customize in order to be able to move an item, via keyboard, to another location, even if itā€™s in another document.

Thanks Francisco - I am aware of that - and like the feature. What Iā€™m looking for is drag and drop moving. I want to drag a bullet in my outline to a document in the document list. I read that Dynalist thinks this ā€œimpossibleā€ because their current set up has each document icon split in half, so if you are slightly above the half, it moves the bullet to above the target document as a whole new document - and if you are slightly below, then it creates a new document below.

But of course, I just want to drag a bullet straight into an existing document to add that bullet as a part of the existing document (appended to the end of the existing document). This could be easily accomplished by allowing me to press a modifier key like ā€œCommandā€ or ā€œOption.ā€ I am greatly saddened that this is not standard functionality.

1 Like

Just looking through this thread, and wanted to put forward my humble opinion, based on my use caseā€¦

re: " When you drag to the bottom half of a file, Dynalist thinks youā€™re dragging to below it. Now if we want to add an area that represent ā€œinto itā€, weā€™ll need to split the file area into 3 parts, horizontally, which makes it even harder to drag things to where you want them to be."

Oh my, if Dynalist did this it would have a huge impact on my productivity.

What is described is how file explorer works, it works well in my opinion (i.e. have the document ā€˜grey boxedā€™ when in the middle (to indicate drop ā€˜in toā€™), and then show a line above or below, to show when inserting a new item as a top level document.

I use the "clip this page to Dynalistā€™ add-on a lot, and also add items on the fly on my phone to my inbox for later catalogingā€¦ so I regularly have 20 or 30 items in my inbox I need to move their propor documents.

Iā€™ve I could just select a few items, then drag them across to the right document, versus the Ctrl+Shift+M etc, Iā€™d be in efficiency heavenā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1, I think this functionality would be so much more useful actually than the current drag to file

An item is not a file. So it was very surprising to see my item behave like a file when I dragged it to the file browser.

Missing this the most over workflowy where it was easy to just drag and drop complex move operations. While the large tree pattern is not ideal, this is wonderfully cleaned up in dynalist with the files and could have been so much better. Alas, this is broken because I can only create useless files. One click + drag is really far superior and more intuitive than the minimum 2-step (Ctrl+Shift+M) plus (select destination) where you always have to think first and pay attention that your item goes to the right file.

Maybe itā€™s possible to copy the exact dragging and dropping behavior of files between (nested) folders? A file simply behaves as and is conceptually like a folder for items. Only if you drag item at top of folder or the file browser youā€™re creating a new file from the item (or if thatā€™s not intuitive at least give us the middle hitbox solution, or a horizontally differentiated behavior where you get different result depending on whether you drag more to the left or right of a parent item.

We have:
Folder > File > Item

Not:
Folder > (File=Item)

Or are people thinking about this differently? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Longtime [PRO] user here, but I still get caught out by this regularly. Maybe itā€™s my fault, but itā€™s rather infuriating. I intuitively try to drag an item to a different file only to find it turns itself into a file. Argh! WHY?

The current functionality seems totally backwards to me - think of a computer OS, how often do you drag a file into a folder/directory, expecting it to move into that directory, compared to dragging a file and expecting it to become a folder/directory itself?!

Would be great if you could rethink this. Perhaps an option in settings to allow both behaviours in order to please everyone.

Thanks for listening and all the great work you do on the application - please keep it evolving.

I want to rise up the modifier key idea again. I mean, we have it with ā€œCtrlā€ to copy instead of move. Why not using ā€œAltā€ to move (or copy) INTO a file instead of creating a new file.

1 Like

Bumped priority, hopefully weā€™ll get to it soon.

1 Like

Great! :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I recently migrated from workflowy to dyanlist and so far very happy. The inability to drag and drop list items from one document into another, however, has been the biggest part of my workflow from workflowy that I feel is missing. Would also love to see this prioritized and echo David Pā€™s sentiment about expected behavior.

Hasnā€™t this been implemented already? I think thereā€™s some improvements possible, eg. opening the destination file to drop the item in a specific place within that outline rather than at the bottom, but pretty sure it works if you use it right