Don't transfer expanded/collapsed status of lists between different instances

I tried opening two windows of the same list, one with part expanded and the other with the same part open, since I wanted a side-by-side comparison and closing the list in one view was helpful for that.

However, when I collapsed the list in one window, it automatically collapsed in the other window. I’d prefer if things people type in one window show up in other open instances (as currently happens), but that collapsing/uncollapsing lists doesn’t transfer between instances.

2 Likes

Collapsed state is per user right now, so that’s why it behaves like this. Also I believe these two “instances” are not really separate, otherwise you’d have to log in again on the other browser tab. They clearly share a lot of information, to the extent that we may not be able to distinguish them, so that’s the technical difficulty.

Changing from per-user to per-session sounds like a significant architecture change, but I’m not sure. Gonna leave that to @Shida, whose more qualified to answer this.

1 Like

Oh I see, thanks! Playing around with incognito mode, it looks like it already is a per-session behavior, not per-user.

1 Like

Well, anonymous user would be considered as a separate user.

Or did you mean you logged into your account in incognito mode?

Yes, I logged into my account in incognito mode to create a separate session of the same user; I was looking at a private list with three windows open, one incognito mode. When I collapsed / uncollapsed things in the incognito mode window, it didn’t affect the other two. When I collapsed/uncollapsed things in one of the other windows, it would affect the other non-incognito window, but not the incognito window.

@Shida @Erica
This is interesting. When I ran the test you described @Mark_Eichenlaub, I found the opposite results that my incognito and normal windows could in fact communicate with eachother. However, I tried the test again with the state of whether the bookmark pane is opened or closed. In this case, exactly like the post above, the state could communicate within groups of tabs that were or were not Incocognito, but not between groups. @Erica When you say per-session, is this what you are talking about? Do Incognitio and normal tabs of Chrome count as different sessions but tabs within those two groups count as the same session so that there can only be a total of two sessions within Chrome?

Personally, I have rarely found it convenient for collapsed state to be synced between all my documents. In fact, I’d go as far as to say I wish my collapse state was not saved at all, and that I had the ability to exit my document in any state, and return with all items collapsed every time no matter what. I don’t know how many others would find this useful, but I know I would appreciate the option because to me it feels more neat and tidy.

Just wanted to +1 support for the option to disable the syncing of collapsed state. When drafting a large talk or paper, I’ll often have different versions of notes in the same document, and then have multiple tabs open to compare/edit. Scroll position offers and easy enough workaround, but sometimes being able to collapse differently is helpful for seeing different groups of tabs easily while brainstorming.

Also, the jump in collapse state when switching from working on desktop to mobile when it syncs can be a bit jarring.

TL;DR - it doesn’t break any workflows, but would be a solid nice-to-have.

Ah you’re right. It syncs the collapse state to the other window. That’s annoying.

There’s a logical problem here: if there is no expansion sync bet ween Windows, what happens when you work in a window, close it, and then create a new window?

Well they’re requesting a toggle in settings to turn off sync (and presumably always default to fully collapsed or expanded when refreshed)