"Capture to my Inbox" global shortcut doesn't always work

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

This doesn’t always happen, only sometimes. This is what I do:

• tap cmd-shift-I

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

• dynalist should be in the foreground, with the ‘capture’ dialog focused

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

• nothing seems to happen
  • I think that in the dynalist app, the capture dialog has been brought up, but Dynalist hasn’t been brought to the foreground. I’d need to pay more attention to this in the future to see if this is actually the case

Environment

Which operating system are you using?

• macOS 10.15.6

Which browser are you using?

• Native app 1.4.1

If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?

Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?

No

Additional information

after I try the keyboard combo and it doesn’t bring dynalist to the foreground, if I manually bring dynalist to the foreground and then bring another app to the foreground and try the kbd combo again, it works! i’m guessing dynalist gets into some weird state occasionally and bringing it to the foreground fixes it

Hmm does setting the hotkey to a different help at all? Sounds like something wrong in the OS.

I will try that.

1 Like

I have the same problem on macOS 11.6
when I press hotkey to capture to inbox, the input field for that doesn’t appear
dynalist window is somewhere in background, Safari on foreground, and when I switch to Dynalist, I can see the input field for inbox capture

and no, changing the hotkey doesn’t help

please advice

I don’t know the fix, but I have a different way, if you are comfortable with scripts. It has been reliable for me. I use Alfred Pro, which replaces MacOS Spotlight, and I input to my inbox from there. There are similar apps that can run custom shell scripts as well, if you have a favorite. Here is the script:

TOKEN="xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

CONTENT="{query}"

curl --header "Content-Type: application/json" \
  --request POST \
  --data "{\"token\":\"${TOKEN}\",\"content\":\"${CONTENT}\"}" \
  https://dynalist.io/api/v1/inbox/add

and for Obsidian I use

sed -i '' '1s/^/- [ ] {query}\n/' '/Users/george/Documents/Vault/Inbox.md'

Also I will note, on my M1 Macbook, the built-in hotkey works reliably. The Dynalist window always jumps to the foreground, with cursor focus in the input box. I couldn’t reproduce your issue.

You should re-install the Dynalist desktop app, since there was a recent update a few weeks ago that probably requires a fresh download. If that doesn’t fix it…I can’t think of anything else.