Can't paste an image into Dynalist on Win10/Chrome

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

Copy an image from just about anywhere. Screenshot, Slack conversation, etc.

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

The image should be pasted.

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

Nothing happens.

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?

Win10/Chrome

Additional information

It works on the desktop app. Not sure if an extension is interfering with it, since adblocking ones have been disabled on it before.

Oh wow, @Shida just saw the errors and fixed it.

Thanks so much and sorry for the unnecessary work :frowning:

1 Like

Oh, no worries. I’m glad that I could catch it!

I am experiencing this same bug now in June,2018. Images from Hard disk get pasted fine.
But ‘Copy Image’ and then ‘Paste’ does not do anything in Chrome /Desktop app.

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Johnson,

Sorry about this, seems like in more recent versions of Chrome, the web images that get pasted no longer send their data to the clipboard, thus we can’t upload it.

We’re looking into this issue soon, and I’m gonna unmark the “Fixed” status on this bug to reopen it.

1 Like

@Robert_Johnson @JP1: This should be fixed in the latest versions (please refresh/reload the app to update), could you please confirm when you have time? Thanks in advance!

Working on Chrome now. Thanks.

However, issue remains on the desktop app. Windows 10. Image gets pasted if copied from local drive, but not if copied from a website.

1 Like

The desktop update hasn’t been released yet, will work in the next release! Thanks :sunny:

Just to clarify, when using ‘Copy image’ (not ‘Copy image address’) in Chrome and pasting in Dynalist, is the image supposed to be uploaded to my account and then inserted (with a dynalist url)?

Here the image is always pasted with the original (external) URL.

Yeah, that’s what we implemented.

I know it’s different from how it worked originally back then. It’s because as we thought about it, if a free user tries to copy over an image, and rather than using the image’s URL we prompt the user to upgrade, it would seem a bit weird and aggressive.

So we went the current behavior.

Maybe for Pro users, the image can always be uploaded? There might be reasons for not wanting to upload the image though, like if the image is huge and takes up 50 MB.

What are you thoughts on this?

1 Like

I understand your reasoning. My personal thoughts are the following:

• If I copy an image, I want my own instance of it - regardless of size. (In case the original image goes down.) You could warn users if they are about to upload a huge file and suggest to rather link to it.
  • If I want to link to an image, I deliberately can do so by using ‘Copy image address’. (You could automatically surround it with the proper image markup upon pasting in Dynalist.)
  • As for free users, you could grant them 5 MB upload space or 5 uploaded files (whichever is exceeded first) before prompting the user to upgrade.

What is the currently suggested workflow to copy (and upload) a file from the web? Do I have to download the image to my computer first and then drag it into Dynalist?

1 Like

Yeah, I understand that now.

Okay, we just won’t know the proper title of the image. Most image tags come with friendly alt or title attributes that gets lost when you do “Copy image address”.

Yeah, unfortunately. Maybe we can do it via an option or automatic upload for Pro users only.

1 Like

Right, so how about a pop-up dialog when you paste the image (like when you use “Get link” in Dynalist), that lets you decide if you want to upload the image.

E.g.
--------------- Pasting Image ----------------
Do you want to add the image to your personal files/attachments/uploads?
<Maybe some explanation about how this decision is affecting link availability, upload quota, etc., or a link to a help page.>
No [Esc] | Yes [Enter] | Checkbox Remember decision

• For free users this dialog could either be skipped completely, or the “Yes” button could be grayed out with an explanation that a subscription is required.
  • With the keyboard shortcuts [Esc] and [Enter] it is quick and unobstrusive for experienced users to navigate.
  • The “Remember decision” checkbox could be tied to a preference “Upload pasted images?” with the three options “Always ask”, Yes" or “No”.
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

For the time being, I guess we’ll make uploading the default behavior for Pro users, possibly with an option to change to paste image URL markdown.

Another reason for the new (current) behavior that I forgot to mention: the Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, etc.) will add an image file even if you’re just copying text. That way if you paste text into software like MS Paint, there’s still something to show. It’s a nice feature for them, but for us, uploading this generated image is not ideal. So we need to detect Office and prevent Office-generated images from being uploaded. That’s a hidden complexity there.

2 Likes

Any update on this @Erica ?

Thanks!

What exactly are your experiencing?

Problems with base64 encoding and having a very tedious procedure to paste images such that they are being uploaded
see Pasting image from clipboard no longer uploads

and comment from this thread Can't paste an image into Dynalist on Win10/Chrome

@Shida, @Erica, is there anything that can be done here?

I’ll post a reply on the other thread Pasting image from clipboard no longer uploads

1 Like