Android app crashes when loading a long complex genealogy list

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

Create a long complex list of Bible genealogy. Exit the app and reload and try to open a document.

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

The complex list of Bible genealogy should load up

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

The entire app simply froze and the document is never loaded.


Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?

Android app is version 1.1.22

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

This show stopping bug has made this app completely unusable for me

I’m really sorry to hear it’s not loading for you.

If I’m not mistaken, “list of Bible genealogy” sounds like a very long list that’s far beyond normal usage. It’s likely that your phone doesn’t have that kind of resources (memory) to support it.

Do you mind sharing some info about your device (spec, model)?

It’s not the phone that’s the problem, but your software. Even the web app freezes when I load my list. I know you got your source code from WorkFlowy and guess what? WorkFlowy actually loads my Bible list just fine, but I like your app because you have dark theme and multiple documents. If you fix this issue, I would be extremely grateful.

I know you got your source code from WorkFlowy and guess what?

Sorry, where did you get this idea from? I’m really curious what makes you so certain about this, we actually wrote our entire codebase from scratch.

I’m just stating the fact that Dynalist is not designed nor built to open such a long document. It’s nice that it works in WorkFlowy, but I don’t feel it’s Dynalist’s obligation to match WorkFlowy’s performance, since WorkFlowy’s functionality is simple. That would be unreasonable. It’s a trade-off between features and performance, unfortunately, so you’d need to choose. Again it’s not a choice for most users, as they do not have such huge lists, even if they put all their notes in Dynalist.

Again so sorry about this.

Functionality is exactly the same as WorkFlowy ex have you added some new features. I didn’t expect you to be such incompetent in your software building. Full performance to match features is the goal of any software developer, but you want to stop here, okay suit yourself. The truth of the matter is, I believe it’s a software error four major show-stopping bug, as opposed to your app unable to handle long list because if WorkFlowy can do it I’m sure you can do it, but that’s not going to happen with you because you have given up already.

Rude assertions and accusations won’t get us anywhere. Closing this.

Just to add a quick comment, performance issues are always something we look to fix, but I can assure we do not share any code-base with Workflowy. Our codebase is designed for more complex formatting and editing, which is the trade-off we’ve taken. While we do come back to fix performance from time to time, sometimes small things creep back in when we add new functionality. The good news is, most people don’t use Dynalist with long complex lists of Bible genealogy in a single document.

That’s what I call incompetence.

In that case, I would suggest you to get your source code from WorkFlowy and build it yourself.