Quick Dynalist - The native Android app for Dynalist

The widgets are awesome - having multiple different lists on one screen on mobile makes a huge difference to organisation for me. Great work louis!

1 Like

That’s a great addition to Dynalist

As a brand new unpaid user (during 2-week trial period where pro is enabled), I have to ask a dumb question (since some of inbox features are apparently reserved for pro).

Does this work with free version of dynalist?

That’s a good question. I believe it does work, except your standard inbox. But you can always create new ones by adding #inbox or #quickdynalist to other items.

Let me know if you encounter issues.

1 Like

@Stephen_Dewitt @Kevin_Murray I am a bit annoyed by the fact that widgets initialize at the top of the list and my lists are super long and have the most recent items at the end. I’m thinking of

a) adding an option to initialize the widget list scrolled to the bottom
b) adding an option to reverse the list order
c) adding a button for the widget to jump to the bottom

What is your opinion on the matter?

Is this just the default order used by Dynalist? I presume you could change it within Dynalist. But maybe I don’t get your issue.

Meanwhile, would it be possible to open Dynalist links in the app? Maybe this deep-linking is a matter of the Dynalist app itself, but it’s obviously preferable to the mobile browser, especially if offline.

Yeah, that’s fair. It is the default order. I guess I am just too used to having chronological order from top to bottom.

No, we can’t do this at the moment. This is an issue with the Dynalist app. See Handle Dynalist link in android app

Ultimately, I am trying to replace the original Dynalist Android app entirely. So if there are any features missing, I am happy to take that into account.

1 Like

Hmmm I’m happy with how it is but I’m used to most recent at the bottom, and only use short lists within qd generally, but yea always happy to have an option to change the way things work.

In terms of replicating function, I’ve mentioned ‘move item’, which now I think would be really nice if it was linked to swiping in one direction (delete in the other direction, as now)

After that I’m pretty much happy :slight_smile:

The swiping is a bit hard to discover in my opinion. I was planning on putting it in the context menu for now. If this turns out to be too slow we can still consider an alternative.

I notice in the latest version of the app, you have item linking. It seems promising. The dialogue brings up a selection assorted items. Can you say what your rationale for linking is and how the items are filtered for this dialogue?

The list shows recently modified items. Unfortunately, only the ones added before the last sync (until the API changes we have to do it that way).

The idea is that in your mind you are aware of items you have recently changed / added and you might want to link to them if they are related. We have to do some testing to figure out whether that really is useful. Suggestions welcome.

We might also add a full blown item search to move / link to any arbitrary item at some point. But users should resort to this method only if necessary, because it requires a few more interactions that take a bit of time on a mobile phone.

Maybe pressing ‘Move to’ and ‘Link to’ should just open a search bar where results are sorted by last modified date. We could then also show recently modified items / recently searched items when no search term has been entered. That is more flexible and probably fast enough (same number of clicks).

One use for this linking that came up previously was to have a key for items that have different versions. This could be in the form of a contact card for a person who appears across different documents. At the moment, I tag that item with #card. As with the range of places to save items that you currently have on offer, you could have users nominate a tag for links that they might want to make with the current item - in my case it would be #card.

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. In the current working version you could achieve that by typing #card (we have a search now). But maybe it would be worth it to have something configurable. I suggest you play around with the new version and then we can discuss.

Anyways, api is fixed, and I implemented tons of features over the weekend. Major release version coming up.

Is that the version updated 16 Feb? I can’t see any search dialogue.

I still have to fix the new filter feature, probably will come out in two days or so in the beta channel and after some testing I’ll release it into production.

1 Like

@Kevin_Murray @Stephen_Dewitt and others:
The new beta version is available now!
New features: :mag: Item search & :chart_with_upwards_trend: Item filters & :clipboard: Cloning items & :label: Clickable tags & :gem: Improved visuals & :satellite: New synchronization for a more stable experience (Thanks to @Shida for the new API that made this possible)

After a bit of testing I plan on releasing it into production.
A lot has happened since the last production release.
Thus, I need a lot of new beautiful screenshots. Would someone be willing to help me by creating a nice Mock Dynalist account with different documents, inboxes, items, filters, checklists, pictures, notes, etc in order to showcase all the features of the app?

2 Likes

Ahhh, exciting! I still can’t see an update on google play but suspect it just takes a bit of time. Can’t wait to get my hands on it. Happy to help Louis, send me a PM.

Stephen

1 Like

I’ve just had a quick play with it. The search filter for the linking function covers off my previous issue. I’ll try and get some screenshots when I have time.

It will be strange if it came to the point where we began to miss these new functions on the web version. I don’t suppose there’s any way of developing an extension that would do the same thing.

I have reached this point with flat search!

Edit: and, just as importantly, ‘live’ search, which automatically updates, rather than having to re-run it constantly (a major bugbear of mine)

BTW this is all awesome Louis! These new features really bring the greatness of Todoist on mobile to dynalist!

3 Likes