Windows Hotkeys + Chromium to manage notes + chrome websurfing

This is a good workflow Iā€™ve been starting to experiment on

I tend to websurf through many links at a time and my chrome browser just gets out of hand when managing all the webpages I am viewing.

I tried running a triple or quad monitor setup, but it gave me headaches. I currently run a dual monitor setup, ~27" each monitor size

Since I run a dual monitor setup, sometimes I need to drag tabs around to their own windows, so I can view different sets of things on my monitors at a time

However, it gets really out of hand. Sometimes my google chrome has 7 tabs open before I have to start closing them off

I normally try to employ the following rules:

1. Web browsing is only on chrome, Dynalist is specifically only on chromium
  2. Chromium is binded on the first hotkey position so I can press WIN+1 to instantly open and close my notes at any point in time

For reference, this is what I mean by hotkey positions:

I would recommend, if you do lots of coding, to move your IDE editor into one of the four positions. Email would be another good choice, or any other programs you constantly use on a daily basis. These are systematically defined in windows as WINDOWS +1 , WINDOWS+2, WINDOWS+3, WINDOWS+4 key.

this doesnā€™t apply to mac users

Hereā€™s a good superuser thread about this that I read up on automating browser / taskbar management:

more notes on philsophy on productivity of browser/task management

I never revisit web links that often when Iā€™m browsing through chrome. I believe in getting all the information right then and there, documenting it based on priority, via my SOP (Standard operating procedures) depending on the context of notes using the eisenhower matrix as a guideline (important vs nonimportant, urgent vs nonurgent).

I donā€™t implement a lot of ā€œopen loopsā€ in general as in come back and do this later tasks (e.g. pocket, instapaper). If I watch a documentary, and I donā€™t have time to watch all of it, I just skim through it really quickly and play it at 4x speed with commentary, for example, and will see a gap of missing notes in my dynalist

Normally, if I find something important or relevant, I have a list of SOP (standard operating procedures) for capturing that information right away anyhow to be used later (via other tools, like reddit RES, etc). It all depends on what the laziest way of capturing each source of information is

Also, I have to constantly suspend my chrome tabs using an extension called THE GREAT SUSPENDER https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en , because I find my RAM usage on just everyday browsing is normally 8-9 GB

So the vast majority of time I am just constantly opening dozens of tabs / then closing them in bulk all at once in my google chrome , pushing windows around, etc. . This is normally when Iā€™m multitasking/multi-researching many topics all in one go, otherwise when I am doing actual work, I am focusing only on 1 -2 sets of tasks at a time

TL;DR

I do this:

1. Web browsing is only on chrome, Dynalist is specifically only on chromium
  2. Chromium is binded on the first hotkey position so I can press WIN+1 to instantly open and close my notes at any point in time
  3. Bind other commonly applications for WIN+2, WIN+3 , WIN+4 such as your code IDE editor, email, etc

This is assuming you run a 2 monitor workflow

This lets you open / close applications really quickly.

2 Likes